Anyone had a poke around inside the HP WHS box? RRS feed

• Question

• I know its not retail yet. Im wondering if any of you got to see any test units

I really like the case. But im wondering the following

1- can you add more RAM to the motherboard

2- does the motherboard have VGA pins on it. (the reason i ask is because HP software usually sucks and i see this as no exception, Their hardware is excellent and id be interested in doing a standard WHS install on it, without any bloatware)

3- as its always on, it seems perfect to run a virtual system on it using VMware or MS virtual PC this would run a mail server for the family. only 4 users so wont need much virtual resouces.

Cheers Jason

Thursday, October 18, 2007 6:52 AM

Answers

• Neither of those cases I linked is actually on the market yet, I'm afraid. The Norco barebones will cost about the same as a low-end HP MediaSmart Server, and the Chenbro case is expected to retail for around $250, if I recall correctly.
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 7:24 PM

All replies

• If you're looking to "roll your own" in that general form factor, you would probably be better off with a unit that's targeted for that market, such as the Norco DS-520 (a barebones server) or this case by Chenbro. The HP motherboard will probably have headers for keyboard, video, and mouse, but it's unlikely that HP will ship with the connecting cables.

As for virtualization technology, you won't be able to use Virtual PC in this configuration. Virtual PC won't let you start a virtual machine up when the host boots, so you'll need VMWare or MS Virtual Server. There are some technical challenges to be overcome with getting virtual machines running on WHS, but it can certainly be done.
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 12:02 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Ken

Iv just been playing with vmware server its free and allows the guest operating system to start as a service so it will start when the server starts.

as for the case. both look good the Chenbro one seems perfect but no mention of it coming to Australia any time soon.

but the Norco one takes 5 internal drives

Hmm decisions decisions.

Has anyone had any experience with eithur of the two cases ?

Thursday, October 18, 2007 12:29 PM
  • Neither of those cases I linked is actually on the market yet, I'm afraid. The Norco barebones will cost about the same as a low-end HP MediaSmart Server, and the Chenbro case is expected to retail for around $250, if I recall correctly.
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 7:24 PM
  • Hi

I'm waiting for a Norco review unit to be shipped over, which hopefully should be with me in the next couple of weeks. HP's PR team are also sending out a review unit of the MediaSmart Server out to me in early November, so if you keep an eye on my blog next month then hopefully, I'll be able to answer your questions!

All the best,

Terry

Saturday, October 20, 2007 8:52 AM
  •  

HI Terry

I look forward to it. I really want to know if you can open up the HP case.

that way you could add a VGA port (in emergencies)

and upgrade the RAM

Cheers.

Saturday, October 20, 2007 11:44 AM
  •  jasok wrote:

3- as its always on, it seems perfect to run a virtual system on it using VMware or MS virtual PC this would run a mail server for the family. only 4 users so wont need much virtual resouces.

Cheers Jason

there might be no need for a virtual machine. i am using hmailserver (www.hmailserver.com) and am very pleased by it.

starts as a system service after install, cheap (for free), easy to config.

even possibility for remote config if you have php installed in iis

Monday, October 22, 2007 7:39 PM
  • Hi hielke

Thanks for that ill definately add it to my favourites and have a good look at it Smile

Monday, October 22, 2007 9:50 PM