Product Key Update failure [Error: 0x800704dd] RRS feed

• Question

• Paid my $149.00 and got the new Product Key, but am unable to apply the key.  When I try the "Download" at some point I keep getting the error message:

Product Key Update failure [Error: 0x800704dd]

Any ideas that help, would be appreciated.

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 6:34 PM

Answers

• CharlieBr,

Have a look at the steps in Section B of the following MS KB article--it has helped others on the forum with the same issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910341/en-us

Friday, February 9, 2007 6:38 PM
  • Thanks Dan!

There was no subkey "SensLogn" under Notify, so I had to create from scratch.  At first it didn't work.

I looked under Notify_Disabled for subkey "SensLogn" and noticed that I had typed a Capital  i instead of a lowercase L in the value "WlNotify.dll".  After correction and after 2 days of hard work, the new key is finally applied.

It really shouldn't be that hard.

Thanks again!!!!

Saturday, February 10, 2007 2:28 AM

All replies

• What is the messaging that comes up?
    Wednesday, February 7, 2007 7:20 PM
  • In a window titled: Windows Product Key Update Tool

Product Key Update failure.

The application has encountered an error while downloading required files from Microsoft.  Please ensure the machine is connected to the Internet and try again.  [Error: 0x800704dd]

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 8:14 PM
  • Noticed that my logo was greyed out.  Does that mean that there will not be an answer for me?????
    Thursday, February 8, 2007 4:47 PM
  • Charlie:

Do you have any firewalls or proxy servers? It could be that Firewalls (like Windows Firewall or Norton/etc) are blocking the update tool from downloading the required update files to convert your system.

-phil

Thursday, February 8, 2007 7:49 PM
  • Phil:

I am an individual user on Comcast.  I would never use a proxy server.  The Windows Firewall is turned Off.  McAfee On Access virus scan is turned OFF.  I put Internet Explorer down to the lowest security that I know how to.  I have turned off all spyware checkers except Windows Defender.  I have even tried Firefox, but nothing seems to work.

Is there some other way to download the necessary files so that I can apply the Product Key?

I paid close to full price for a boxed retail version of XP with SP1 applied to upgrade from Windows 2000 Pro.  It had a COA.  It has passed muster as Genuine until this week.  It is now reporting that it is from a volume license that has been Geographically blocked.  I don't have time to fight this, so I bought the key, but so far, I am no better off.

What else can I do?

Charlie

Friday, February 9, 2007 5:04 AM
  • CharlieBr,

Have a look at the steps in Section B of the following MS KB article--it has helped others on the forum with the same issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910341/en-us

Friday, February 9, 2007 6:38 PM
  • Thanks Dan!

There was no subkey "SensLogn" under Notify, so I had to create from scratch.  At first it didn't work.

I looked under Notify_Disabled for subkey "SensLogn" and noticed that I had typed a Capital  i instead of a lowercase L in the value "WlNotify.dll".  After correction and after 2 days of hard work, the new key is finally applied.

It really shouldn't be that hard.

Thanks again!!!!

Saturday, February 10, 2007 2:28 AM
  • CharlieBr,

Glad you got it squared away!

Saturday, February 10, 2007 5:28 AM