Suddenly have to restart the "server" service frequently RRS feed

• Question

• I've had my WHS '11 server up and running for years now, and it's been working fine.

All of a sudden, about 2 months ago, my client computers would suddenly lose connection to the server drives.  Seemingly for no reason. 

Access would be there for days, then just lose them.  And I don't know why.  I'll post the error I get next time it happens, but it's something along the lines of a connection for this computer already exists.  As if the client had a hiccup, then tried to reconnect...but the server thinks it's already connected, so it rejects any new requests from said client.

Through research, I found that if I go to the WHS server, open services, and restart the "server" service, the problem would resolve itself.

Only, now...I have to do this 3-4 times a week. 

I can restart the client computers all I want, it never goes away until I restart the "Server" service on the server.

Any clue why after years of no problems, I suddenly have to do this quite frequently?

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 3:33 PM

Answers

• You could try to disable energy saving in the properties of your network cards under Control Panel/Device Manager.

Other than that - are the clients connected via WLAN or by wire?

Try also to upgrade the network card drivers on both client and server with the latest version from the maker.

On the server you can check the Computer Management console and here Shared Folders/Open Files to see, if there are any visible locks.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Thursday, April 2, 2015 2:50 AM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:03 AM

All replies

• Try running chkdsk /r on all your server volumes.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, March 12, 2015 12:57 AM
  • Below are the results.  no errors.  Just to reiterate, it seems more a conflict of resource *access* rather than a problem with the resource itself.  After I restart the "Server" service, all drives are then available, and all files I accessed seemed fine.

It almost seems as if the clients, after a period of time, have their access to the server time-out, or expire or something.  Then, when it tries again, the server thinks it's already connected, and therefor rejects any future access (until the Server service is restarted).

Anyways...for your info, the Chkdsk result summary:

1890365439 KB total disk space.
     485412232 KB in 169377 files.
         81348 KB in 10278 indexes.
             0 KB in bad sectors.
        558719 KB in use by the system.
         65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    1404313140 KB available on disk.

Any other clues?

Friday, March 13, 2015 3:19 PM
  • Anyone?

-s0da-

Monday, March 16, 2015 3:14 PM
  • Hi skeetyborphus,

-->my client computers would suddenly lose connection to the server drives

Would you please let me confirm whether all those client computers connect to the WHS 2011 via Connect a Computer to the Server wizard? Did all client computers encounter the same issue at the same time? When the client computer lose connection with WHS 2011, please ping the server from a problematic client computer and check if succeed. Please also run sfc /scannow command to scan all protected system files.

Please also check relevant log files and check if find more clues.

-->I'll post the error I get next time it happens

Did you get any error message? By the way, if it's possible (non-production environment), please restart the WHS 2011 server and monitor the result.

If any update, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 3:18 AM
  • okay...so finally, some additional details on what's happening. But first, let me answer your questions:

>>>Would you please let me confirm whether all those client computers connect to the WHS 2011 via Connect a Computer to the Server wizard?

Yes. I use the connect wizard to set up all my computers.

>>>Did all client computers encounter the same issue at the same time?

not exactly at the same time, but around the same time.  It's MAINLY on my computer that I see it, but mainly because I'm the one using the server the most.  The other computers don't really access it all that often, but they have had it happen.

>>>Did you get any error message

Which lead's me to my new information to share.  Yes, I get the following error message:

Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user

It's always after a reboot, or windows update to my client computer.  As if whenever the client goes away and comes back, the server never knew it went away in the first place.

Again, I can't access the WHS '11 network drive until I go down to the the server, and reset the "Server" service.  Then it's all better.

Any help?

-s0da-

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 2:40 PM
  • ^bump...

Anyone?

-s0da-

Friday, March 27, 2015 12:11 AM
  • You could try to disable energy saving in the properties of your network cards under Control Panel/Device Manager.

Other than that - are the clients connected via WLAN or by wire?

Try also to upgrade the network card drivers on both client and server with the latest version from the maker.

On the server you can check the Computer Management console and here Shared Folders/Open Files to see, if there are any visible locks.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Thursday, April 2, 2015 2:50 AM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:03 AM