Enable enhanced presence is grayed out RRS feed

• Question

• I successfully did an OCS SE Installation and enabled around 100 Users for enhanced presence.
    Everything runs fine.
    When I now try to enable other users for communication I'm not able to decide wether they are enabled or disabled for enhanced presence.
    Every user by default is enabled for enhanced presence and this behaviour cannot be changed. Also disabling a user and re-enabling doesn't change this behaviour. Is there anywhere a global option for enhanced presence beside the normal way to enable it, which I didn't realize?

Thanks in advance for your help....

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 3:05 PM

Answers

• Enhanced presence is automatically turned on for any new user created in OCS 2007 and there is no way to turn this off. You can only enable enhanced presence for users that are migrated over. Once a user is enabled for enhanced presence it is not able to be removed.

This Enable for enhanced presence function is used as you migrate users over. Then intention is that you move a user over to the new OCS pool but you have had the chance to deploy the new clients yet. Once you have deployed the new clients and the user connects, they are set for enhanced presence. It is assumed that any new user created on OCS 2007 will already have the new client.

There is no registry key or global setting to turn this off. It is by design.

Thursday, June 7, 2007 7:43 PM

All replies

• Like you said it looks like the server by default enables user for enhanced presence and I haven't found a global option for this. There is a checkmark at the bottom of the User Options dialog. You get there by clicking the Configure button in the Communications tab in Active Directory Users and Computers or in the OCS 2007 MMC console. But like the note says it cannot be changed back.

You can also multi select users in the OCS 2007 MMC console and then run Configure Users. That allows you to enable them for Enhanced Presence.

Nóri

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 4:03 PM
  • Of course I know those options and ways to enable enhanced presence. But I don't want to enable this by default, without any chance to make users enabled for normal presence, for instance in scenarios where you have to supply OC2005 access possibilities. Does anybody here know a dependency of this behaviour or a workaround to disable this default behaviour? Is there any step in the deployment process which enforces this?

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 6:28 PM
  • I've not been able to find any global setting to disable Enhanced presence when you create new users.

I'm not 100% sure but I think this only applies when you're migrating from LCS 2005. Have you looked at the migration documentation?

Nóri

Thursday, May 31, 2007 11:27 AM

• Hi Nóri,

thanks for your answers. I didn't do any LCS2005 Migration. Its a complete new installation.
    A customer of mine also reported this behaviour in his Test-Installation of OCS Public Beta SE.

I've already read every documentation on OCS  :-(

Thursday, May 31, 2007 3:03 PM
  • Enhanced presence is automatically turned on for any new user created in OCS 2007 and there is no way to turn this off. You can only enable enhanced presence for users that are migrated over. Once a user is enabled for enhanced presence it is not able to be removed.

This Enable for enhanced presence function is used as you migrate users over. Then intention is that you move a user over to the new OCS pool but you have had the chance to deploy the new clients yet. Once you have deployed the new clients and the user connects, they are set for enhanced presence. It is assumed that any new user created on OCS 2007 will already have the new client.

There is no registry key or global setting to turn this off. It is by design.

Thursday, June 7, 2007 7:43 PM
  • I was under the impression that you could migrate LCS 2005 users and enable them for ehanced presence at a later stage. Why create a checkbox for something that can never be unchecked ?

It seems like MS have changed the way it works half way through the design ?? ......... 

Monday, May 5, 2008 5:48 AM
  •  

I have the same question.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 10:37 PM
  •  

You can actually use ADSIEDIT to change OptionsFlags attribute to decrement 256 and that should do the trick and turn of enhanced PA. Once you do that the check box will stop being greyed out so you can enable it at a later time. 
    Monday, December 1, 2008 8:21 PM
  • There is more detail on that process in this blog entry:   http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=20

Do keep in mind that the information is also supposed to be store din the SQL database and I've heard that reversing the EP state can cause other strange problems with that account.  It's unsupported to revert that settings as well, so process with caution.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 3:38 PM
  • johnnypower said:

I was under the impression that you could migrate LCS 2005 users and enable them for ehanced presence at a later stage. Why create a checkbox for something that can never be unchecked ?

It seems like MS have changed the way it works half way through the design ?? ......... 

You can still do this as advertised.  The 'migration; of LCS users to OCS simply consists of moving the users into a new OCs pool, but the Enhanced Presence setting should not be enabled yet.  This allows for Communicator 2005 (1.0) clients to still operate with users homed on an OCS pool.  When the workstations will be updated to the Communicator 2007 (2.0) client, that is when they should be enabled for Enhanced Presence.  At this point you go check that box and the user's are fully migrated up to OCS features and cannot be reverted to using the previous OC client.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 3:41 PM