Downloading and installing Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2008 thru firewall. RRS feed

• Question

• Had an enormous problem downloading installing, and accessing OAP 2008 .

Received an error message that this may be due to the fact that SQL Server 2005

does not allow remote connections under default settings. (providerTongue TiedQL Network

Interfaces, error:26-Error Locating Service / Instance Specified).  But why would Microsoft

use one program to download another when it was not set up to do the job?

I pushed some buttons and manipulated some files and got the job done,but I don't want to go

thru that again, so one thing I want to do is setup the firewall to accept anything from

Microsoft , because if you can't trust Microsoft we are all lost. Is there a way to do this?

Also, in case this was a SQL Server 2005 problem how can I change that?

Monday, September 15, 2008 4:02 PM

Answers

• Thanks Lori,

I was referring to the OneCare Firewall.

I just want to know if there is a way to tell the firewall that I want to allow ALL Microsoft programs,etc. thru the firewall without my having to go thru each file in a Microsoft program and guess, without knowing at all what the file is.

That's what I had to do when I was trying to install MOAP2008. Somehow I guessed right, but I don't know and couldn't repeat, what I did.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:17 PM

All replies

• hardmary,

Thank you for visiting the OneCare Program forums.

The purpose of this forum is the support of OneCare Firewall issues.

Were you referring to the Windows operating system firewall? or OneCare firewall?

When OneCare is installed, by default it turns off the Windows Firewall and turns on the OneCare firewall

where you can modify the firewall settings by launching OneCare, click on Change settings, and under the Firewall Tab,

click on Advanced settings to allow or block programs.

You can try to post your question based on what operating system you are using:

Windows Vista:   http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/community/default.mspx

Windows XP: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US

You can also try posting to the SQL Server forums:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=19&SiteID=1

I hope this helps,

Lori MS

Monday, September 15, 2008 6:51 PM
  • Thanks Lori,

I was referring to the OneCare Firewall.

I just want to know if there is a way to tell the firewall that I want to allow ALL Microsoft programs,etc. thru the firewall without my having to go thru each file in a Microsoft program and guess, without knowing at all what the file is.

That's what I had to do when I was trying to install MOAP2008. Somehow I guessed right, but I don't know and couldn't repeat, what I did.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:17 PM
  • There is no way to configure the firewall to allow all Microsoft programs, though I would expect most to be recognized as approved and digitally signed without need for intervention on your part unless it is a beta or you have configured OneCare to always prompt for all programs.

-steve

Monday, September 29, 2008 6:30 PM