MCITP ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I was wondering if it will be a hard task to go for the MCITP certification exams 70-640 70-642 and 70-646. I have no current IT work/field experience, but I am computer illiterate per say. I have an associates degree in IT, I know how to build a PC from scratch, I know how to set up my own home network from scratch, manually set static IPs and such, I know how to troubleshoot many PC problems, I just don't have the work experience. I am 25 yrs old and am currently a full time manager (50hrs a week)  for Costco making 65k a year, but my dream career is in IT.I am also currently doing a self study for A+ and Net+ exam certifications and I am wondering if I should sign up for a 2 month class here in NYC to study for the MCITP exams.
    Sunday, October 7, 2012 1:26 AM

Answers

• It depends. 

Have a look at the skills being measured for each exam and ask yourself "Do I have these skills?".  If you don't have the required skills, ask yourself if you believe a 2 month class will teach you the required skills (keep in mind that candidates undertaking these exams should have at least 2yrs experience with the technologies covered in the exams).

Another option is to purchase the MS Press Kits for each exam and utilise the free testing software that comes with the kits.  This will give you a pretty good indication of where you sit with regards to your skill level.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

• Edited by Mr. Wharty Sunday, October 7, 2012 7:46 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Arjen Krap Sunday, October 7, 2012 6:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Horizon_NetEditor Sunday, October 14, 2012 4:13 PM
    Sunday, October 7, 2012 7:45 AM