none
Canon Printer/Scanner/Copier/Fax and WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have a basic HP inkjet hooked up to my WHS and its working fine.  I have been looking at getting a multi-function printer and have decided on the Canon MP530.

My question is will I be able to do all scanning/copying/faxing tasks from my main computer while I am accessing it over the network to my WHS instead of just printing?  I understand this isn't specifically a WHS issue as this is no different than sharing the printer on a regular PC but I'm trying to see what I can verify before buying and I would guess someone out there has tried installing their MFD to WHS by now.  I have been looking high and low on Canon's website and elsewhere but I can't seem to find an definite answer on this.

My problem would be solved if it had built in networking but it does not.  I looked at buying a print server off of newegg but read somewhere that MFD wouldn't be supported over a print server.  True?
    Monday, June 4, 2007 5:08 AM

Answers

• I have this printer but I have not tried installing this on the server.  However, I am running it from a print server, Netgear PS 121, and what you have read is correct. The only function supported is printing.

I have not found this to be a big detriment.  It is possible I would want to fax from the network but all other functions I need to be standing at the printer, to copy or to scan, anyway.

Great printer in all other regards. I also use after market ink and refill the cartridges.  If you would like info on this I could share it off line as is not relevant to WHS.
    Monday, June 4, 2007 12:00 PM

All replies

• I have this printer but I have not tried installing this on the server.  However, I am running it from a print server, Netgear PS 121, and what you have read is correct. The only function supported is printing.

I have not found this to be a big detriment.  It is possible I would want to fax from the network but all other functions I need to be standing at the printer, to copy or to scan, anyway.

Great printer in all other regards. I also use after market ink and refill the cartridges.  If you would like info on this I could share it off line as is not relevant to WHS.
    Monday, June 4, 2007 12:00 PM
  • pool shark

I attempted to install an all in one lexmark to the server. First off, most of the scanner/fax drivers had problems with the server. I tried a manual install with similar problems.

If you were able to get it to install correctly, the only way to scan and fax would be to intitate a remote desktop connection to the server and use it like a PC to do such tasks. The server really isn't designed for that.

If you are willing to fork out a lot of cash, there are soem print servers (on newegg) that will print and scan. Very pricy though.

Monday, June 4, 2007 2:10 PM
  • Well, it looks like there is no chance of installing on WHS or setting up a network print server and getting full functionality to work on my main desktop which will be located next to the  Canon.  However, I think I've come up with a decent solution.   I've decided to get the printer and a cheap 2-port USB 2.0 switch and run one cable to my main desktop and the other to the WHS as both are almost right next to each other.  

I'll install as a regular printer on WHS so my laptop and others can print to it and then hit the USB switch to have it go to my desktop so it has full functionality. I may even set up both the 'local' printer and the printer on WHS on my main desktop and leave default as the WHS printer so I only use the USB switch when scanning or faxing leaving less chance of leaving the USB switch on local.

Thanks for the help.
    Tuesday, June 5, 2007 4:22 AM
  • I got this to work this evening with my Canon pixma mp780 all-in-one.

Two things to keep in mind:
    1) Terminal into the console when you plug the printer into the usb port to ensure you see the UI presented by the new hardware wizard: 
    Code Block

mstsc -v:server -console

(When you need to scan in the future, you don't need -console)

2) Enable (and set to automatic) the "Windows Image Acquisition" service, which is disabled by default.

Scott Colestock

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 1:12 AM
  • I have to ask: why would you want to scan to your server directly, instead of one of your client PCs (where there is, presumably, software to actually use the results of the scan)?
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 1:42 AM
  • I know, I know - it seems strange.  But the reality is that all of the machines I own at this point are laptops - except for the HP Media Server.  I didn't like having to have a laptop connected to the network (and at home) all the time just to be a print server.  I scan fairly rarely, so launching an RDP shortcut to WHS for that purpose isn't that big a deal.

(I should note that this printer is old enough that you can't scan "to" any machine other than the one that is USB-connected)

Plus, the wireless print servers that offer to "remote" the scan functionality are spendy...

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 1:46 AM
  • Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize that the MP780 wasn't network-capable. That makes a bit more sense. Have you considered upgrading, though? I have (and like) the MX700, and a network capable multifunction is a wonderful thing. Smile
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 3:39 AM
  • Hey Scott, Sorry for the bother...but I was wondering if you had more information on this.  I have my canon printer hooked up to my server.  prints just fine.  When I go to scan, nothing happens when my printer is plugged into my server.  I have to unplug it and plug in my computer.  Defeating the purpose of the wireless!  I am happy scanning directly to my server or to my computer over the wireless network.  Any suggestions?  I couldn't find much information on the windows image acquisiton.

Thanks,

Joe
    Thursday, February 7, 2008 8:58 PM

• The windows image acquisition (WIA) service is in the services management console - do start/run/services.msc.

Once you've connected your device and have WIA running, you can remote desktop to your server for scanning.  In my case, I just have the canon applet sitting on my server desktop, so I start with that and indicate how I want to scan.

Thursday, February 7, 2008 9:28 PM
  • Scott,

I also have a canon MP780 -- love this machine. I need help!  I have the canon installed to my desktop pc.  I also have a laptop that I would like to be able to share the printer with. I am not at all knowledgable concerning additional peripherals (?) that I would need in order to do this. I did (presumptuously) order a Silex Canon wireless MFP/print server.  I have had no luck at all getting simple info as to what or how I could utilize this device. Perhaps I cannott use it at all?  What should I use in order to share this printer with my laptop.  Help!

Thank you,

KBow

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 2:53 PM
  • KBow, With a multifunction that's not network-aware typically you will be able to use the printing functions from any PC. You won't be able to fax or scan, though.

To print, you just need to share the printer from the PC to which it's connected. You may need to install a driver on other PCs, as well.
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:47 PM