Possible bug in Office Communicator 2.0.6362.76 (july hotfix) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

After running OCS 2007 for months very successfully in our production environment, we are now suddenly experiencing issues when transferring calls.  We did some tests and by elimination I can reasonably say this might be caused by a bug in OC.  During the last few days I have been updating a lot of machines, and I installed the latest july patch/hotfix for OC, mainly because it reduces the problem where the Outlook datafile is locked during a shutdown, and you get the error "datafile was not closed properly".

The problem:

Person A calls Person B.  Person B calls person C (person A is put on hold).  Transferring the call from A to C fails with OC error 500 or 487.  A blind transfer from A to C by B does work normally.  So, only transfer attempts where a caller is put on hold are failing.  This occurs both with internal (communicator) calls, as with calls originating from our ISDN gateway for users with the aforementioned Office Communicator 2.0.6362.76.

When person C is using an older OC version, the call can be transfered normally.

Are others experiencing the same issue?  Or am I seeing ghosts here? :-)

Best Regards

Wim

Friday, October 3, 2008 11:54 AM

All replies

• Wim,

I would recommend that you contact Microsoft Product Support on this issue. The July patch for Communicator was just taken offline as one of the included updates was found to have an problem in it.  I don't have the details, so it may or may not be the same issue you are seeing.  But MS is working on a new update to replace that one.  In the mean time I'd recommend removing that patch and rolling back to a previous patch (June or April).

Friday, October 3, 2008 12:48 PM
  • Dear Jeff,

Thanks for the information.  It is good to know that I better stop the rollout of the july patch.  I will downgrade and wait for the next one.  I will try to contact Ms Support as well.

Thanks,

Best Regards

Wim

Friday, October 3, 2008 1:07 PM
  • Dear all,

Just a small update on this issue:  the 'bug' still occurs in the latest October patch:  OC version 2.0.6362.97

Best Regards

Wim

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 9:46 AM
  • Did you contact PSS to inform them?  If your issue is in fact a bug they probably aren't aware of it.  Unfortunately this forum is largely unmoderated and I wouldn't expect anyone from the product team to catch this thread.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 12:27 PM
  • Dear Jeff,

Due to other projects and a general lack of time I did not contact them yet.  I would like to hand over a detailed analysis, and simply did not get around to it.

On the other hand, I must admit I am also a bit cautious to spend the requested 300 EUR or so on filing a bug report...which in turn emphasises my desire to do it right and spend some time on it.

But, later this week I could free some time and enter it. :-)  I will update this thread with additional info once I know more.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Wim

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 12:37 PM
  • Hi all,

Just a quick update on this issue.  We did additional testing, and apparantly I had a very bad memory the day I created this thread, because the problem is not what is described above.

During testing we found that every forward (blind or with consult) where the original call originates from OC version .76 or .97 will fail on our production machines.  On a clean install Vista SP1 test machine we could not reproduce the behaviour, although all normal users with this version will encounter the problem.  Removing the .76 or .96 patch re-enables correct forwarding.

We created a case with Microsoft Customer Support, and they are working on it. :-)  Probably there is a conflicht with some software we use, or our current configuration. I will keep you informed about their findings. 

Best Regards

Wim

Friday, November 21, 2008 1:00 PM
  • Hi all,

After running additional tests it seems the issue is related to the user accounts.  I used a newly created test account and a few production accounts and ran the following tests:

Using a clean Windows XP SP3  test machine with OC .97 as the starting point for both tests:

-Test User (with OC .97) on XP SP3 clean laptop -> Production User 1 (with OC .97) on Vista SP1 -> Production User 2 on Vista SP1:   Transfer succeeds

- Production User 1 (with OC .97) on XP SP3 clean laptop -> Test User  (with OC.97) on Vista clean test machine -> User “Jandrie” on Vista SP1:  Transfer fails

Using a clean Windows Vista SP1 test machine with OC .97 as the starting point for both tests:

-  Test User  (with OC .97) on clean Vista SP1 test machine -> Production User 1 (with OC .97) on Vista SP1 -> Production User 2 on Vista SP1:   Transfer succeeds

- Production User 1 (with OC .97) on clean Vista SP1 test machine -> Test User (with OC.97) on clean XP SP3  -> Production User 2 on Vista SP1:  Transfer fails

So on both clean machines (XP and Vista) the user account that initiates the call is making the difference.  From previous test I can now safely conclude the configuration of the computer or OS is not causing the issue.  

The only difference now is that the test account does not have an Exchange mailbox, whereas the other users do have a mailbox.

Maybe Exchange writes a certificate in AD, and this certificate causes the issue for Office Communicator .97?

Best Regards

Wim

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:08 AM
  •  Hi Everyone,

A small update to this problem.  The error will occur only when a user has capitals in the SIP/email address (e.g. Some.User@test.com).    It is indeed a bug and will be fixed by Microsoft. :-)

Best Regards,
    Wim
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 2:17 PM