MS-MPI: Using Clusters to speed up compilation (java, actionscript...) and other programs (Flash PRO, and 'normal' programas) RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I have 3 normal PCs (already with Windows 7, right from the seller), and I need to join them in order to speed up compile times. I am a Flash and Java developer (GUI programs), and sometimes compiling from a given application (e.g. Flash PRO) can take more than 40 minutes (the source file is bigger than 400Mb so far). The problem regarding those times is not bad programming practice, but the large amount of assets which I can't remove. Flash is not buggy, the problem is just the time to compile.

For those situations, is there a way to use MS-MPI? Or do I need to use other approaches like a SMP MotherBoard (like Xeons) or a virtualization like with Virtual PC / VMWARE ESXI?  I already use a computer with Core i7 3770K as my host PC, and more, its even overclocked (4.5ghz+ with watercooler). But I would like to drop those compile times to be like 5 minutes. Flash PRO is a single core program, as well as 10 more programs I use. There arent multicore alternatives so far.

Thank you very much!

Friday, July 11, 2014 7:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Ivan,

Unless you can break the compilation of your project into smaller pieces (like splitting your file in to multiple files?) MS-MPI wouldn't really help you.  You'd have to build your own MPI application to coordinate and sequence the different builds.  If your build system is single threaded, then having an SMP system won't help you.  Virtualization won't really do much for you either.

So if you can break your project apart so that you can build the different parts in parallel (multiple single-threaded builds running concurrently) you might be able to coordinate these with your own MPI application.  I'm not familiar with the Flash toolset, so can't really comment on how feasible the above is.

Good luck!
    -Fab

Friday, July 11, 2014 10:28 PM