Load Balancers and Edge Boxes _ OCS config question RRS feed

• Question

• If you have

Two load balanced combined access edge\web edge boxes

How should you configure the OCS pool under Web Conferencing Edge Server?

1. What should the Internal FQDN be? Is it the name associated with the VIP or is it the physical name of the server?

2. Under the External FQDN. Is this the name associated with the VIP or again is it the external A record of the server?

Two load balanced AV edge boxes

3.In the OCS pool under the A/V conferencing properties I assume the A/V authentication service should be the FQDN of the VIP

If anyone could explain how the connection is setup that would be fantastic.  As I understand it to transfer live meeting data, for example, the server and client must both connect to the same edge server. I would love to know how they “settle” on the same edge box as there are load balancers either side.

Thanks for any advice

Alistair

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 5:24 PM

Answers

• Alistair,

If you are looking at Figure 8 on the Edge Server deployment guide, there are two things to keep in mind: (1) There appears to be an error in the diagram as the InternalLB and InternalAVLB FQDN labels are switched. And (2) this scenario has a set of load balanced Access Edge + Web Conf servers and another set of load balanced A/V Edge server.  The internal FQDN of the VIP for the first set is used for Front-End to Access Edge communications, but the internal FQDN of each physical server is used for Front-End to Web Conf communications.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 1:49 PM

All replies

• 1.  If you are load balancing the internal interfaces of the Access/Web Edge servers then the internal FQDN is the VIP of the internal interfaces.

2.  External FQDN is the externally facing Web Conferencing FQDN that should map to a VIP.

3.  If you are load balancing the internal interfaces of the A/V Edge servers then the internal FQDN is the VIP of the internal interfaces.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 10:46 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. Answers 2 and 3 make sense.

However on answer one. Is this how you run your system?ie for web conferencing on the pool you specify the internal FQDN as the VIP address and not the individual server names.

The reason for asking is that I have had another read of the planning guide and resource kit which says things like

"The internal interface of the Web Conferencing Edge Servers must not be load balanced"

Also the example they give in the planning guide seems to show

Pool level config of

Web conf Edge External FQDN     Web Conf Edge Internal FQDN

Externalweblb.contoso.com     servA.corp.contoso.com

Externalweblb.contoso.com     servB.corp.contoso.com

Regards

Alistair

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 8:05 AM
  • Alistair,

If you are looking at Figure 8 on the Edge Server deployment guide, there are two things to keep in mind: (1) There appears to be an error in the diagram as the InternalLB and InternalAVLB FQDN labels are switched. And (2) this scenario has a set of load balanced Access Edge + Web Conf servers and another set of load balanced A/V Edge server.  The internal FQDN of the VIP for the first set is used for Front-End to Access Edge communications, but the internal FQDN of each physical server is used for Front-End to Web Conf communications.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 1:49 PM
  • Thanks Jeff, you seem to be answering a lot of my questions at the moment!

Ahh yes I see what you mean about the diagram. But what you said about "the internal FQDN of each physical server is used for Front-End to Web Conf communications" answers my question.  Great.

Yes we are putting 2 x Access Edge\Web Edge & 2 x A/V edge.

Regards

Alistair

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 2:16 PM