RAID controller advise RRS feed

• Question

•  

Looking to buy a good pci-E raid controller, any opinion on one with 8-12 ports.

regards

Mike

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 9:53 AM

Answers

• Many will recommend 3ware's controller, good one tho (http://www.3ware.com).

But I will as well recommended the one I used for years now without any problem:

http://www.areca.com.tw

Most of them come with external port, so you can build your array before OS or when you install your OS without any problem, just to login to the admin with nic cable. Speed is very well indeed.

Also, thier pass-throw work very well.

As well, thier addon are cheaper than 3ware, example here RAM and Battry backup.

My best.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 10:16 AM
  • WHS with a RAID array is an unsupported scenario. Microsoft doesn't test for issues, and help if you have problems could start with "Please break your array and reinstall.". The reasons are probably varied. Drive Extender offers good performance and data protection (of everything except the system partition) in multi-disk WHS systems that have duplication enabled. Some consumer RAID controllers have, umm, "half-baked" drivers. (I've seen arrays that just randomly start re-syncing when there are no hardware issues at all.) Consumer RAID doesn't deliver the performance it promises. RAID arrays are difficult (usually impossible) to expand. Any or all of these could be part of the reason.

All that said, hardware or motherboard RAID does work. Many testers have had a RAID array in their WHS at one point or another. (I did, for instance.) There have been very few reports of issues that could be isolated to the RAID array. So if you want to try, I don't see any major reason not to, except that it won't be supported.

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 4:00 PM

All replies

• Many will recommend 3ware's controller, good one tho (http://www.3ware.com).

But I will as well recommended the one I used for years now without any problem:

http://www.areca.com.tw

Most of them come with external port, so you can build your array before OS or when you install your OS without any problem, just to login to the admin with nic cable. Speed is very well indeed.

Also, thier pass-throw work very well.

As well, thier addon are cheaper than 3ware, example here RAM and Battry backup.

My best.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 10:16 AM
  • Does WHS work with RAID? Is there anything special that needs doing?

I am looking to build a RAID 5 array with WHS, but haven't read that this is possible. Infact some articles suggest Disk Extender negates the need for RAID. That being (more or less) true, is a RAID implementation possible with WHS?

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 12:34 PM
  • WHS with a RAID array is an unsupported scenario. Microsoft doesn't test for issues, and help if you have problems could start with "Please break your array and reinstall.". The reasons are probably varied. Drive Extender offers good performance and data protection (of everything except the system partition) in multi-disk WHS systems that have duplication enabled. Some consumer RAID controllers have, umm, "half-baked" drivers. (I've seen arrays that just randomly start re-syncing when there are no hardware issues at all.) Consumer RAID doesn't deliver the performance it promises. RAID arrays are difficult (usually impossible) to expand. Any or all of these could be part of the reason.

All that said, hardware or motherboard RAID does work. Many testers have had a RAID array in their WHS at one point or another. (I did, for instance.) There have been very few reports of issues that could be isolated to the RAID array. So if you want to try, I don't see any major reason not to, except that it won't be supported.

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 4:00 PM
  • Thanks Ken. After posting, and a scan around the forum I noticed you've answered that answer a few times. So I appreciate you answering it again.

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 5:25 PM