Re: Central Backup can't find? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I set up Hub

comp for central backup using a external usb hard drive but other comps in circle can;t find it,What can i do to resolve this issue?

Sunday, October 7, 2007 7:50 PM

Answers

• I assume that you've followed the steps below from Help:

Create a backup plan

To help avoid the loss of important data, you should create up a backup plan so that you can back up your files regularly. You can create a separate plan for individual computers, or create a plan that uses a centralized backup for all the computers in your OneCare circle. To create a plan that uses a centralized backup, you must do so from a hub PC.

To create a backup plan:
    1. Open Windows Live OneCare.
    2. Under Quick links, click Change settings.
    3. On the Backup tab, click Configure backup.
    4. If you've created a OneCare circle, click Change settings.

–or–

If you haven't created a OneCare circle, click Next.

5. In the left column, click the computer that you want to set up a backup plan for.

–or–

To set up a centralized backup for all the computers in your circle, click Backup plan for all PCs.

6. To accept the default backup settings, click Next.

–or–

Create your own backup plan to choose what you want to back up, how frequently you want to perform a backup, and where you want to back up the files to.

Show me how
      • To select a location to store the backup, click Change location, select a location, and then click OK.
      • To select a frequency and time for the backups to occur, from the appropriate menus, select the options that you want.
      • To select the files to backup, click Change this, select or clear the appropriate check boxes, and then click OK.
      • To exclude specific folders from the backup:

1. Click Exclude certain folders or files.
        2. To exclude all the contents of a folder, in the left pane, find the folder that you want to exclude, and then clear the check box next to that folder.

–or–

To exclude specific files in a folder, in the left pane, click the appropriate folder. In the right pane, next to the file that you want to exclude, clear the check box.

3. Click OK.
      • After you've selected the options that you want, click Next.
    7. Review the plan, and then click Save.

You are ready to back up your files. For more information, see Back up your files.

Notes
    • To make changes to your backup plan after you've created it, under Quick links, click Change settings. On the Backup tab, click Configure backup.
    • Windows Live OneCare currently supports only external hard disks or shared network drive as centralized backup devices.
    • To use an external hard disk drive as a centralized backup device, the drive must have a storage capacity of at least 25 gigabytes (GB).
    • If you don't want other computers in your circle to be able to modify the backup settings, in the Backup plan for all PCs area, select the Only allow these settings to be changed on a hub PC check box.

If the above doesn't solve it, contact support. 

Support for 2.0 Beta - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 - use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

-steve

Monday, October 8, 2007 2:14 AM
  • On the hub computer, open My Computer, select the usb drive, right click and select properties, open the Sharing tab and make the drive a shared drive. You should then be able to find the drive on your network.

Friday, October 12, 2007 7:35 PM

All replies

• I assume that you've followed the steps below from Help:

Create a backup plan

To help avoid the loss of important data, you should create up a backup plan so that you can back up your files regularly. You can create a separate plan for individual computers, or create a plan that uses a centralized backup for all the computers in your OneCare circle. To create a plan that uses a centralized backup, you must do so from a hub PC.

To create a backup plan:
    1. Open Windows Live OneCare.
    2. Under Quick links, click Change settings.
    3. On the Backup tab, click Configure backup.
    4. If you've created a OneCare circle, click Change settings.

–or–

If you haven't created a OneCare circle, click Next.

5. In the left column, click the computer that you want to set up a backup plan for.

–or–

To set up a centralized backup for all the computers in your circle, click Backup plan for all PCs.

6. To accept the default backup settings, click Next.

–or–

Create your own backup plan to choose what you want to back up, how frequently you want to perform a backup, and where you want to back up the files to.

Show me how
      • To select a location to store the backup, click Change location, select a location, and then click OK.
      • To select a frequency and time for the backups to occur, from the appropriate menus, select the options that you want.
      • To select the files to backup, click Change this, select or clear the appropriate check boxes, and then click OK.
      • To exclude specific folders from the backup:

1. Click Exclude certain folders or files.
        2. To exclude all the contents of a folder, in the left pane, find the folder that you want to exclude, and then clear the check box next to that folder.

–or–

To exclude specific files in a folder, in the left pane, click the appropriate folder. In the right pane, next to the file that you want to exclude, clear the check box.

3. Click OK.
      • After you've selected the options that you want, click Next.
    7. Review the plan, and then click Save.

You are ready to back up your files. For more information, see Back up your files.

Notes
    • To make changes to your backup plan after you've created it, under Quick links, click Change settings. On the Backup tab, click Configure backup.
    • Windows Live OneCare currently supports only external hard disks or shared network drive as centralized backup devices.
    • To use an external hard disk drive as a centralized backup device, the drive must have a storage capacity of at least 25 gigabytes (GB).
    • If you don't want other computers in your circle to be able to modify the backup settings, in the Backup plan for all PCs area, select the Only allow these settings to be changed on a hub PC check box.

If the above doesn't solve it, contact support. 

Support for 2.0 Beta - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 - use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

-steve

Monday, October 8, 2007 2:14 AM
  • Re: Centralized Backup

I have done those steps to set it up

on the hub comp. it has a Maxtoor 160gb external drive located at deive (GSmile on Hub. the other 2 comps show on circle and status is good but neither one can find drive (GSmile for backup.

Thursday, October 11, 2007 2:09 AM
  • On the hub computer, open My Computer, select the usb drive, right click and select properties, open the Sharing tab and make the drive a shared drive. You should then be able to find the drive on your network.

Friday, October 12, 2007 7:35 PM
  • To expand on Jim's reply, this is from Help:

Set user permissions for a centralized backup device

Before you can use a shared network drive or external hard disk as a central backup device for all computers in your OneCare circle, you must make sure that all users on the network have the correct permissions to access it.

By default, Windows XP uses simple file sharing. If the centralized backup device is connected to a computer that's running Windows XP Home Edition, all users on the network automatically have the correct permissions to access the device. However, if the centralized backup device is connected to a computer that's running Windows XP Professional Edition or Windows Vista, simple file sharing is turned off when you create a backup plan that uses a centralized backup device. Before you can access the device from other computers in your circle, you must set permissions that allow access to all users.

To configure the shared backup device so that all users on the network can access it:
    1. On the computer that the backup device is connected to, navigate to the appropriate backup folder or drive.
    2. Right-click the backup folder or drive, and then click Properties.
    3. In Windows XP, on the Sharing tab, click Share this folder, and then click Permissions.

–or–

In Windows Vista, on the Sharing tab, click Advanced Sharing. Click Share this folder, and then click Permissions.

4. Under Group or user names, make sure that Everyone is selected.
    5. Under Permissions for Everyone, in the Allow column, select the Full Control check box.

-steve

Monday, October 15, 2007 7:18 PM
  • I cannot follow the steps from Help. Step 2 says, "Under Quick links, click Change Settings." When I open Windows Live OneCare, "Quick links" does not show up anywhere.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 11:09 PM
  •  genresearcher1817 wrote:

I cannot follow the steps from Help. Step 2 says, "Under Quick links, click Change Settings." When I open Windows Live OneCare, "Quick links" does not show up anywhere.

Do you see "Change settings" in the left hand panel of the main OneCare screen?

-steve

Thursday, November 29, 2007 7:57 PM