File permissions - Please help! RRS feed

• Question

• I recently started having trouble accessing a few file s on my WHS, which was running on an old Dell Dimension 8400. I suspected the 160 Gb system drive was failing, so I replaced it, which of course required a reinstallation of the OS. I didn't replace the two existing 500 Gb data drives.

But that didn't solve the problem, and in fact it's gotten worse. I noticed that I was unable to access many recently added / changed / created file s in shared folders. I reinstalled the OS again, with the same result. I've also tried to manually change the permissions for individual file s and folders, and to take ownership of them, but I still get the "access denied" or "You don't have permission to [open / move / delete / etc.] this file ."

I admit I find all of this file permission, ownership, and user control stuff confusing, but I can't think of anything else to do to resolve the problem. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 8:37 PM

All replies

• I recently started having trouble accessing a few file s on my WHS, which was running on an old Dell Dimension 8400. I suspected the 160 Gb system drive was failing, so I replaced it, which of course required a reinstallation of the OS. I didn't replace the two existing 500 Gb data drives.

But that didn't solve the problem, and in fact it's gotten worse. I noticed that I was unable to access many recently added / changed / created file s in shared folders. I reinstalled the OS again, with the same result. I've also tried to manually change the permissions for individual file s and folders, and to take ownership of them, but I still get the "access denied" or "You don't have permission to [open / move / delete / etc.] this file ."

You should never change permissions on any individual file or folder.  All permissions should be set through the Console.

I admit I find all of this file permission, ownership, and user control stuff confusing, but I can't think of anything else to do to resolve the problem. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
    You might want to check the FAQ post:  How to fix share access issues where user name and password are requested and see if it helps.  If not, you should probably do another Server Reinstallation.  If it doesn't work after that, don't start changing permissions of the files and folders.  Come back here and let us know instead.  :)
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 8:52 PM