I purchased from ebay Office Pro 2007, says for use only with new "m/c office ready pc' RRS feed

• Question

• Just trying to figure out what 'for use only with a new microsoft office ready pc' means.  The COA is authentic, but the outside of the box says 'license must be purchased within 90 days of PC'.  I already have office 2007 on my 6 yr old computer, (bought product key off ebay as well).  I just wanted to buy a disk in case something ever happens to my computer, I'll have a 'real disk'.  This disk I purchased is not a 'retail version'.  It's in gray packaging, and what concerns me the most is it it says 'license must be purchased within 90 days of PC'.  So I have no way of knowing if the key even still works or not, or is it just assigned to the computer it was originally shipped with?  I'm sure the seller didn't mean to mislead me, and he'll refund my money, but does anyone know if the key is good past 90 days, or can it be used only with the PC it was shipped with?  Any helpful advice will be greatly appreciated...thanks
    Saturday, April 3, 2010 11:09 PM

Answers

• Hello K Godwin,

Could you do this on the 6yr old computer:  In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click the "Continue" button, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into your post.

An Office-Ready Computer is a brand-new computer sold by the computer manufacturer with a special preinstalled installation of what is called the "2007 Microsoft Office System."  This special preinstalled Office can be activated as a Trial of one of the following editions of Office 2007:  Office Basic 2007, Office Home and Student 2007, Office Small Business 2007, or Office Professional 2007.  At any time during the Trial, or after the Trial is over, this one installation of Office can be "converted" to a perpetually licensed copy of any one of those editions, depending upon the Product Key purchased and entered to effect the conversion.

The product key and the CoA come in the form of what is called a "MediaLess Licensing Kit", which sounds something like what you purchased on eBay (assuming of course if it is Genuine).

The Genuineness of yours is immediately suspect because it would seem that your MediaLess Licensing Kit came with, ahem, media (one or more discs).  The real MLKs come without discs, because Office is already installed on the Office-Ready computer.

Microsoft's rules for the 2007 Office System and MediaLess Licensing Kits require that the MLK be purchased within 90 days of purchase of the computer.  There is no technical way to enforce this rule so it is implemented on the "honor system."

The type of license implemented by the Office ready computer and the MLK is OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer).  OEM licenses for Microsoft Windows and Office products are valid only on the computer onto which the license is first installed and they are not permitted to be moved to any other computer.  The license lives and dies with the computer---when the computer is finally out of service due to whatever reason (old age, not economically repairable, etc), the license dies, too.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 12:15 AM

All replies

• Hello K Godwin,

Could you do this on the 6yr old computer:  In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click the "Continue" button, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into your post.

An Office-Ready Computer is a brand-new computer sold by the computer manufacturer with a special preinstalled installation of what is called the "2007 Microsoft Office System."  This special preinstalled Office can be activated as a Trial of one of the following editions of Office 2007:  Office Basic 2007, Office Home and Student 2007, Office Small Business 2007, or Office Professional 2007.  At any time during the Trial, or after the Trial is over, this one installation of Office can be "converted" to a perpetually licensed copy of any one of those editions, depending upon the Product Key purchased and entered to effect the conversion.

The product key and the CoA come in the form of what is called a "MediaLess Licensing Kit", which sounds something like what you purchased on eBay (assuming of course if it is Genuine).

The Genuineness of yours is immediately suspect because it would seem that your MediaLess Licensing Kit came with, ahem, media (one or more discs).  The real MLKs come without discs, because Office is already installed on the Office-Ready computer.

Microsoft's rules for the 2007 Office System and MediaLess Licensing Kits require that the MLK be purchased within 90 days of purchase of the computer.  There is no technical way to enforce this rule so it is implemented on the "honor system."

The type of license implemented by the Office ready computer and the MLK is OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer).  OEM licenses for Microsoft Windows and Office products are valid only on the computer onto which the license is first installed and they are not permitted to be moved to any other computer.  The license lives and dies with the computer---when the computer is finally out of service due to whatever reason (old age, not economically repairable, etc), the license dies, too.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 12:15 AM
  • No reply from original poster.

Issue is assumed resolved.

Closing thread

Darin MS
    Friday, April 9, 2010 12:36 AM