Problem with WHS Recorded TV Archiving RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP MicroServer running WHS 2011 and an HTPC running Windows 7, connected via Gigabit ethernet. Currently both machines run 24/7. I enabled automatic TV archiving (for all shows) in Media Center on the Windows 7 machine, and initially everything worked well. However, I have a few recordings which have archived to the server but show up in Recorded TV (sorted by "Date recorded") as day "Unknown" with a length of "1 min", but still with their thumbnail, channel name, title and description intact. This is very annoying because all the "Unknown" shows are always listed first, and grouped together, regardless of what day they were actually recorded.

Looking at these .wtv files on the WHS Recorded TV share, they are missing the "length" property from their metadata, but everything else seems to be OK, and they play fine. Converting them to dvr-ms doesn't fix the metadata either, so I'm stuck with a bunch of "Unknown"/"1 min" recordings in MCE!

So far, archiving has been enabled for 3 days and about 5 out of 25 recordings have this problem - the rest are fine. It seems to happen at random times of day, and I can't pinpoint anything else happening at the same time which could be interfering with the archiving process. The server and HTPC event logs don't shed any light on things, and the TV archiving log in MCE doesn't report any failures either. It's as if MCE is finishing its recording and then the archiving service is locking the file before it can finish writing all the metadata.

Can this be solved? There are a few threads open about this on various forums, but no one seems to have found a solution.

Friday, September 23, 2011 11:46 AM

All replies

• Any related errors on the HTPC (eventlist)?

To make sure this problem is due to the TV archiving service, try disabling it.
    Does this stop the "Unknown/1 min" problem?

If you think this is a bug, please consider reporting it on Connect?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, September 26, 2011 9:46 AM
  • No, no related errors in the HTPC event log.

I've disabled the TV archiving service and setup a nightly robocopy job instead - not had an "Unknown/1 min" recording since!

Monday, September 26, 2011 2:19 PM

• Sound like a possible bug to me.
    Failing a solution, best approach would be to report on Connect.
    Then please post the feedback ID here so other that are experiencing this problem can vote and/or add addition info for MS to sort this out?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, September 26, 2011 2:45 PM
  • I've reported this on Connect - feedback ID 692303.

Thanks

Friday, September 30, 2011 5:53 PM