Windows Mobile 7 support for sync services? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, Ive got a production application with quite a few users all running WM6.5 handsets. The application was built using .NET CF 3.5 and uses sync services for devices (and SSCE v3.5). Will the application be able to run on WM7 by installing the same code (mostly .NET managed code), or will it need to be rewritten?

I've read so many conflicting reports regarding .NET CF support on WM7, but as a company we have to purchase devices in bulk which we pre-install with our application. So, if we purchase a lot of WM7 handsets, will we wasting our money because there is no support?, or should we continue to support WM6.5 until there *is* support for WM7 (in the hope that eventually we can port the code to the new platform).

Any thoughts appreciated (official or otherwise).

Jon

Monday, October 18, 2010 1:21 PM

All replies

• The primary development platform on WP7 is Silverlight, there are more details here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=04704acf-a63a-4f97-952c-8b51b34b00ce&displaylang=en

Please ask your question about support for SSCE v3.5 on the WP7 forum, but as far as I know, you will not be able to do a direct port of your application to WP7.

We, the Sync Team though are working on a new set of Sync Services, where the client does not have to execute the Sync Framework, so that it is possible to write a sync provider on a variety of clients such as WM6.5, WP7 and iPhone.

Please look for an annoucement of our next CTP (this year) here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/synclab/threads

Monday, October 18, 2010 6:14 PM
  • OK, so basically if you have invested thousands of man hours/dollars in developing for Windows Mobile 6, we now have to throw that investment away and start again? It's a real kick in the face for a lot of people that have backed and been loyal to the previous platform.

Silverlight is just a turn-off. To be brutally honest, I think we'll probably end up swtching to a multi-platform framework such as Titanium or Corona. Right now, I'm just really disappointed in the big investment we have made in Windows Mobile turning to nothing.

I realise Microsoft have to make (much needed) progress on the mobile side of things, but they are alienating the very people that have supported them by doing this. This decision not to support WM6 will cost us real dollars (e.g. the money we have invested in our current product and the lost likllihood of any future sales to recoup this investment). It massively affects our business and future strategy.

Monday, October 18, 2010 10:24 PM