Evaluation version of WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Sir/Madam

We are a computer hardware manufacture. We are releasing a new product which would be a great compliance to your new operations system, Windows Home Server.  Several online reviewers have request demo units from us, and we are wondering whether if we are able to get copies of Windows Home Server 90 days Evaluation. It will be much easier for us to send out evaluation version of WHS than the OEM version we bought from our vendors. Please let me know the ways/conditions for us to obtain such copies. Thanks.

Best Regards

Daniel Hsu

Friday, October 26, 2007 7:28 PM

Answers

•  Daniel-Norcotek wrote:

Dear Sir/Madam

We are a computer hardware manufacture. We are releasing a new product which would be a great compliance to your new operations system, Windows Home Server.  Several online reviewers have request demo units from us, and we are wondering whether if we are able to get copies of Windows Home Server 90 days Evaluation. It will be much easier for us to send out evaluation version of WHS than the OEM version we bought from our vendors. Please let me know the ways/conditions for us to obtain such copies. Thanks.

Best Regards

Daniel Hsu

If you sign a Logo License Agreement for WHS you will get access to download the Evaluation (I haven't actually seen the agreement so I can't tell you if you can use it in review units, contact whswlp@microsoft.com for additional details). A second option is to deliver it without the product key and limit the demo period to 30 days (you will need to determine the legality of this option yourself).

Sunday, October 28, 2007 3:08 AM

All replies

• You have posted this question in the public Windows Home Server forums, and even though a number of MS guys monitor and participate in the forums I would suggest you contact Microsoft directly.

Andrew

Friday, October 26, 2007 8:19 PM
  • I've tried e-mail and phone call without result. I'm trying to find a contact person we can work with, I figure I'd give it a shot and  post it here.

thanks.

Friday, October 26, 2007 9:15 PM
  • are you guys Microsoft partners? If so I think you should have a specific contact, although its different for each region.

Andrew

Friday, October 26, 2007 9:20 PM
  • We don't really need softwares before, but this product we are releasing works well with WHS, and we are thinking about pre install it for our customer. We figured the easiest way for them to try our product is to have one to evaluate hence we need to find copies of WHS evaluate version.

Daniel

Friday, October 26, 2007 11:23 PM
  • Daniel, I'll call the appropriate folks' attention (on the WHS team) to your request. Hopefully one of them will pop up in a day or two to get in contact with you off-line.

However, I'm not sure that you need to do what you're suggesting. It's great that you're willing to pre-install, but I think one thing the reviewers would want to know is "How easy is it to set up starting with bare metal?" Unless you're planning to market your device with a pre-installed operating system (I know wome of your resellers will do so, but frankly they can figure out the installation problems for themselves. Smile ), I think most end users will be buying it as a bare bones unit with no OS. I'm certainly very interested in it, and that's how I expect I would be buying it...

By the way, would you be able to say when it might be possible to see the DS-520 on sale here in the USA? And what it might cost? (I wish I were a blogger at the moment; I'd love to get an early copy of the DS-520, but the reviewers are the people who really need to have them. Smile )

Saturday, October 27, 2007 1:25 AM
  • Daniel,

Please send your e-mail contact information to WHSISV at Microsoft.com with your request details.

Saturday, October 27, 2007 1:53 AM
  • ...and the WGS review will be available in the next few weeks.

I asked the guys over at Norcotek to ensure there was a full copy of WHS on the box (which they kindly agreed to as long as I promised not to activate it.) 

Terry

Saturday, October 27, 2007 2:51 AM
  • Okay, Terry, but I hope someone reviews it from bare metal. I want to know about driver issues. Smile
    Saturday, October 27, 2007 4:08 AM
  •  Daniel-Norcotek wrote:

Dear Sir/Madam

Best Regards

Daniel Hsu

If you sign a Logo License Agreement for WHS you will get access to download the Evaluation (I haven't actually seen the agreement so I can't tell you if you can use it in review units, contact whswlp@microsoft.com for additional details). A second option is to deliver it without the product key and limit the demo period to 30 days (you will need to determine the legality of this option yourself).

Sunday, October 28, 2007 3:08 AM
  • Hi Ken,

What driver issues in particular are you looking for?

Terrt

Sunday, October 28, 2007 3:18 PM
  • Well, umm, any. Smile

Assuming I'm an end user who's installing Windows Home Server, I'm going to have to start from the bare metal. I'll have to deal with any driver issues myself. If you test a unit with Windows Home Server pre-installed, you're testing the device as users will receive it from system builders/OEMs.

See what I'm getting at?
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 3:39 PM
  • Hi Ken

Honestly, WHS does not recognize all the component right after a fresh install but we do provide drivers. So that's shouldn't be an issue for our customers.

Monday, October 29, 2007 10:44 PM
  • I tkink it would be benificial to create a revision of the DS-520 that complies with the WHS Logo Requirements or with knockouts to permanently attach the KVM ports. The SBLA in its current form actually prohibits System Builders from delivering a headless unit and OEM's generally would prefer a Logoed unit. This pretty much limits the DS-520 to end users that are building their own systems.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 12:17 AM
  •  Bezalel Geretz wrote:
    I tkink it would be benificial to create a revision of the DS-520 that complies with the WHS Logo Requirements or with knockouts to permanently attach the KVM ports. The SBLA in its current form actually prohibits System Builders from delivering a headless unit and OEM's generally would prefer a Logoed unit. This pretty much limits the DS-520 to end users that are building their own systems.
    Actually, I think it would be great if Norco could do both. Create a Logo version for OEMs and add knockouts to permanently attach the KVM ports, for system builders.

As for drivers, adding them after the fact works pretty well for an end user. An OEM (assuming you create a logo version) would slipstream drivers into recovery media, of course. A system builder would have a problem, as noted above. I can think of a lot of questions that I'd like to know the answers to, too...
    Tuesday, October 30, 2007 3:54 AM