Windows XP Invalidation RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows XP computer that I purchased from the local compter store. In the past my computer has been validated. Last week I received a virus that shut out Windows Live Onecare. And then popups opened telling me I have over 400 viruses, trojans, malware etc. My wife some how ran them down and left an email threatening them . They gave us some instructions that temporarily unfroze the computer and downloaded a temp version of 'Spyhunter'. I was able to boot, but now Spyhunter was my default progam. If I try anything like sca, update, etc., they want some money. So I uninstalled Spyhunter & Windows Live Onecare because it still would not open. So, I know tried to purchase and download Microsoft Security Essentials. Thats where it automatically tried to validate me version and failed me. So I began to look for my original Windows XP disc to no avail. I looked on my computer for a sticker and found one that said Windows 2000. Any thoughts?

Mike Gerard
    Friday, March 5, 2010 11:19 PM

Answers

• Hello Mike Gerard,

The sticker is the Windows Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  Apparently the computer started out life licensed to run Windows 2000 Professional.  On the second line of the CoA, does it read OEM Product or OEM Software, or does it have the name of a computer manufacturer?

Your computer could be legitimately licensed to run XP if you installed a retail upgrade license to upgrade it from Windows 2000 Professional to Windows XP Pro, or if you installed a full retail license for Windows XP Home or Professional.  In either case, the retail product would have been purchased in a nice pretty shiny retail box, and inside would be the genuine hologrammed installation disc and a yellow-orange sticker with the product key printed on it.  Do you have any materials like that?

In order to receive the best support, could you download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click the "Continue" button, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into your post.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, March 10, 2010 10:21 PM
    Friday, March 5, 2010 11:38 PM