none
Questions regarding 70-339/MS-301. Exam ref, book, is it worth it? Which is most difficult? RRS feed

• Question

• Perhaps thi is the wrong forumt to ask this but...

Im trying to descide betweent taking Sharepoint exam: 70-339 and SM-301 (70-339 does not have a retire date yet).

339 do have a referens book but the SM-301 do not (only have a few study guides that some people have been kind enough to put together on their blogs). 

So my question is, since Im quite new to admin side of sharepoint, how great are the benefits of haveing a exam ref. book?

Does the exam ref. book for 70-339 give examples and heads up what to expect about during the exam?

My second question is: What is the difficulty level of these exams, is one easier than the other?

BR

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 4:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Camino84.

The Exam Ref books are intended as reference materials and are divided in chapters according to the skill measured by the exam you're going to take.
    An Exam Ref book is not enough for you to be able to pass either one or the other exam: I've taken and passed several Microsoft certification exams (including 4 related to SharePoint and 2 about Office 365) and all the questions are really hard and require you a deep knowledge of the platform and a real experience on the field.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 6:44 PM
  • Thank you for taking your time and reply!

I know its a very individual question but how many years of experience would you recommend to have pass either of the exams?

Microsoft isn't making it easy to get deeper into SharePoint, both employers and the exam require experience. I was hoping I would be able to pass the exam more or less with the book only. :/

The Exam Ref is not enough for you to pass the exam: you have to study more and more complex books and have a real on the filed experience. I've started working on SharePoint more than 7 years ago and there many things that I still discover.
    The "Who should take this exam?" section of the page related to the exam 70-339 clearly states that "The exam is targeted at experienced IT professionals who install, configure, deploy, and manage SharePoint 2016 installations in a datacenter and in the cloud. Candidates typically have more than four years of experience in planning and maintaining SharePoint and other core technologies upon which SharePoint depends..."

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Thursday, October 10, 2019 9:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Camino84.

The Exam Ref books are intended as reference materials and are divided in chapters according to the skill measured by the exam you're going to take.
    An Exam Ref book is not enough for you to be able to pass either one or the other exam: I've taken and passed several Microsoft certification exams (including 4 related to SharePoint and 2 about Office 365) and all the questions are really hard and require you a deep knowledge of the platform and a real experience on the field.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 6:44 PM

I know its a very individual question but how many years of experience would you recommend to have pass either of the exams?

Microsoft isn't making it easy to get deeper into SharePoint, both employers and the exam require experience. I was hoping I would be able to pass the exam more or less with the book only. :/

• Edited by Camino84 Thursday, October 10, 2019 8:33 AM
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 7:28 AM

The Exam Ref is not enough for you to pass the exam: you have to study more and more complex books and have a real on the filed experience. I've started working on SharePoint more than 7 years ago and there many things that I still discover.
    The "Who should take this exam?" section of the page related to the exam 70-339 clearly states that "The exam is targeted at experienced IT professionals who install, configure, deploy, and manage SharePoint 2016 installations in a datacenter and in the cloud. Candidates typically have more than four years of experience in planning and maintaining SharePoint and other core technologies upon which SharePoint depends..."

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Thursday, October 10, 2019 9:49 AM
  • Alright, thank you! Sorry for the obvious no. of years-question, I completely missed that part.
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 11:06 AM
  • Alright, thank you! Sorry for the obvious no. of years-question, I completely missed that part.

No problem: if you need to know something more about one topic, you ask and we're here to try to help you.
    Good luck for your exams!

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Thursday, October 10, 2019 12:59 PM