none
Config Transformation in TFS 2017 release automation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

Need suggestion.

We have TFS 2017 build and releases setup for our applications. we are using releases for all environments (Dev, QA, STG and Prod). we are 

We are updating the config (Web.config / Appsettings based on applications) files manually after the deployment successful. W

Need your suggestion on best practice or the better way to handle config file changes in all environment without manual intervention.

We want to include config file transformation as a part of our release workflow, without manual intervention.

Thanks,

$hree

Friday, March 16, 2018 7:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Shreedevi Bhat,

Thanks for posting here.

Since this forum is to discuss the MSBuild (Discuss the Microsoft build engine aka MSBuild), as your question is more related to TFS, I have no direct solution for this issue, but I could provide you what I know.

If you don't need to change the transform, you could use some 3-rd party task/extension for extra transform: XDT Transform, or edit the  .proj file is a method to do the transform.

If you need to change the transform, you can take a look at this blog: Using web.config transforms and Release Manager – TFS 2017/Team Services edition

Note:The BuildConfiguration variable is different in TFS 2017, it's inside the MSBuild task! Transforms are now applied according to the MSBuild task Configuration setting.

If above not help, I suggest that you could also open a new thread on the stackoverflow with TFS tag. More community members and MVP on that forum may further look at your issue and provide more suggestions.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 19, 2018 2:49 AM