none
inteligent pushpins RRS feed

• Question

• In Streets in Trips, I am able to inport data (addresses, and record name and such) from a spreadsheet to a set of pushpins.  Some of the available pushpin choices are incons with a number.  The name data I am using corresponds to a record number.  I would like to have a pushpin that displays this number in the icon.  Displaying it in the ballon is not what I want.  I want the name or this record number to be visible in each icon on the map when no balloons are visible.  Is this possible?

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 1:22 AM

All replies

• Not really - or not easily.

If you have only eight numbers, you could use the "Multiple Symbol" option. Although inconvenient, you could then load them  as groups of eight pushpins in separate pushpin sets.

Failing that (and the multi dataset idea is a bad kludge!), you would need custom programming (and MapPoint) to add each pushpin, and to allocate the pushpin symbol correctly. It isn't too difficult - the Excel reading is probably the most complicated bit. The MapPoint side of things is covered in the MapPoint help file - use VB6, VBA, or C#. Or a number of people (including myself) hang out here, who could be hired to do it for you. Unfortunately S&T does not have a programming interface.

Richard Marsden
    MapPoint Add-ins at Mapping-Tools.com

• Edited by winwaed Friday, June 1, 2012 1:15 PM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:19 PM
  • Not sure if this is helpful rogerwg....but the closest you can get out of the box with S&T is to import the record number you're looking for as the 'Name 2' for the pushpin.  Then - if you use 'find nearby places' you'll see that the record number you included as 'Name 2' will show in the name information for the list of pushpins returned.    The concept being...if you're working a town and need to find a specific record number - you search a radius that covers the area you're working ('find nearby' max is 50 miles)...then look for the record number in the list.  If youi put the record number in 'Name 1' you'll even be able to sort the return list by record number.

Keith O'Brien

Thursday, May 31, 2012 10:51 PM