none
UPDATE: HOW IS THE MICROSOFT MONEY PROGRAM WORKING FOR YOU NOW? RRS feed

• Question

• It has been over four months now since Microsoft "pulled the plug" on its personal financial program, MONEY. There were many regulars here who have benefited from the program over the years. I thought it would be interesting to hear how others have handled the situation. Here is my story.

I have been a MONEY user since 1995. Fortunately, when Money stopped selling the product in stores and only sold via download, I stopped purchasing the annual upgrade. I had been using Money premium 2007, purchased in the Fall of 2006 right thru the end of 2010. No issues with authorization codes, etc. for me. In January, 2011 I downloaded and saved Money Plus (the Sunset version). I then easily moved my 16 years of data to the new Money Plus and continue doing the same things with Money that I have been doing since 1995. The ONLY real change for me is I now spend about three minutes each evening manually entering the daily price updates from my portfolio which I get from the Fidelity website. I have always entered my credit card and checking account transactions manually. I utilize Money's budget, tax forecast, reports, lifetime planning, portfolio manager, net worth, cash flow, etc. to manage my personal finances. As I am now retired, this program has allowed me to KNOW exactly how much I spend each year, how much money I receive each year, how much I have remaining in assets and liabilities. Hopefully, it will continue to work well for me into the future.

How is MONEY working for you? Did you try Quicken? I'd love to hear your comments. Steve

UPDATE ON JANUARY 3, 2012.

IT'S BEEN A FULL YEAR NOW SINCE I SWITCHED TO SUNSET. I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER. MY ONLY CHANGE IS I NOW ENTER THE DAILY STOCK QUOTES FOR ELEVEN INVESTMENTS FROM THE FIDELITY WEB SITE. TAKES A COUPLE OF MINUTES A DAY. JUST LIKE ENTERING ALL MY BANK & CREDIT CARD INFO MANUALLY. IF YOU KNOW HOW THIS MONEY PROGRAM WORKS (17 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE NOW) IT IS BY FAR THE BEST PERSONAL FINANCES PROGRAM OUT THERE IN MY OPINION. I APPRECIATE ANY UPDATES OTHER LONG TIME USERS HAVE EXPERIENCED. THANKS. Steve. 

• Edited by Money user Tuesday, January 3, 2012 4:12 PM
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 5:20 PM

All replies

• Money 2005 is still working fine for me. Like you, I have been a user of Microsoft Money since 1995 and have found the program invaluable. I was really disappointed when Microsoft pulled the plug on the program and now, in thsese austere times, I think it's even more important to manage your finances as efficiently and effectively as possible. I manage my stocks and shares in Excel now, pulling data from other sources. No sign of Quicken launching a UK version but I suppose that's payback for me sticking with Microsoft only to be let down after they saw off all the competition!
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 7:24 PM
  • I've been using Microsoft Money Plus Sunset since around 12-13-10, and my data file goes back to early December 1995.  I have always entered my transactions manually, so my data is extremely detailed and is extremely useful to me.  I expect the Sunset version will get me through the rest of my life.

I have no intention of using Quicken again.  There is no way I would take my Microsoft data file and have Quicken turn it into a useless mess of bits and pieces.

Shame on Microsoft for dumping Microsoft Money.  I buy as little as possible from Microsoft.  The company gets rid of about everything it comes out with anymore, which gives me little faith it can stick with anything new over the long-term.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 9:56 PM
  • On Sun, 15 May 2011 17:20:14 +0000, Money user wrote:

>
    >
    >It has been over four months now since Microsoft "pulled the plug" on its personal financial program, MONEY. There were many regulars here who have benefited from the program over the years. I thought it would be interesting to hear how others have handled the situation. Here is my story.
    >
    >I have been a MONEY user since 1995. Fortunately, when Money stopped selling the product in stores and only sold via download, I stopped purchasing the annual upgrade. I had been using Money premium 2007, purchased in the Fall of 2006 right thru the end of 2010. No issues with authorization codes, etc. for me. In January, 2011 I downloaded and saved Money Plus (the Sunset version). I then easily moved my 16 years of data to the new Money Plus and continue doing the same things with Money that I have been doing since 1995. The ONLY real change for me is I now spend about three minutes each evening manually entering the daily price updates from my portfolio which I get from the Fidelity website. I have always entered my credit card and checking account transactions manually. I utilize Money's budget, tax forecast, reports, lifetime planning, portfolio manager, net worth, cash flow, etc. to manage my personal finances. As I am now retired, this program has allowed me to KNOW exactly
    how
    >much I spend each year, how much money I receive each year, how much I have remaining in assets and liabilities. Hopefully, it will continue to work well for me into the future.
    >
    >How is MONEY working for you? Did you try Quicken? I'd love to hear your comments. Steve
    >

Money is working fine for me.  I have data back to 1997.

I download data, and for those of us who do, PocketSense (https://sites.google.com/site/pocketsense/home/msmoneyfixp1) has been an invaluable adjunct.  Highly recommended.

Ron
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 11:13 PM
  • Still running M+. Still collecting data by hand. Have over 18 years of data. It incessantly tells me I need to upgrade since my online service offering has expired. Yawn. Miss quotes slightly. Have Sunset on a couple of machines/VMs, but not on the production platforms. Microsoft support continues to be about as effective as it long was.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 3:10 AM
  • Hi Dick,

Since I am now on Sunset I can no longer tell if the stock and fund downloads from the Microsoft server still work. I know they said they were cutting off as of January 31, 2011. Since your production platforms are still apparently running Microsoft Plus (the one using the authorization code) ARE YOU STILL GETTING THE AUTOMATIC DAILY UPDATES OF YOUR STOCKS AND FUND PRICES? I wonder when or IF Microsoft will stop this service. I guess I could have stayed with my Money 2007 Premium a while longer but I have no regrets about moving to the Sunset version. Your input (or other users)  is appreciated. Thanks.

Steve

Thursday, May 19, 2011 2:04 PM
  • No longer receiving quotes. FYI Advisor periodically conplains about lack of current price date.
    Friday, May 20, 2011 2:16 AM
  • MS Money 2001 still seems to be working for me. I can download share prices
    but don't know if account downloads still work as I never used that part.

Friday, May 20, 2011 10:19 AM
  • Reading DominicP link in the other recent thread about Sunset, it seems that Microsoft is keeping the server to online quotes (and maybe also automatic downloads) alive and operating for those users who have had that service with their current version (ie) many earlier versions fo Money BEFORE Money Plus with activation code OR Money Sunset. It sounds like they are also allowing those with the Money Plus with activation code to continue to use online services until their two year period has expired. I do not know when they stopped selling the download version of Money Plus with the activation code, but it sounds like they will keep the online services going until two years from THAT time. This, even though they said they would cut-off all online services on January 31, 2011.

Anyone have any better information on this? Thanks. Steve

Friday, May 20, 2011 3:28 PM
  • Also a long time MM user with large MM file. I gave  Quicken a try but could not get used to another UI. Literally, the one thing that finally convince me to switch back was that I could not hide reconciled transactions and see the real-world running balance instead of the balance of visible rows. I had kept a parallel instance of MM at the same time as I was using Quicken and just switch back,

I am running MM Sunset now using manually quotes and statements download:

. using http://code.google.com/p/hle-ofx-quotes/

. and are looking for opportunity to plug the rest of the missing functionality via http://sunriise.sourceforge.net/

Friday, May 20, 2011 9:14 PM
  • I have been using Money Deluxe 2007 for many years, and it still automatically updates my mutual fund prices when I open the program. I have also used hle-ofx-quotes/, and found that program easy to update quote prices. My credit union previously enabled me to download and import my checking, savings and credit card transactions via QIF, but they converted to CSV downloads after Microsoft pulled the plug. I guess Quicken can handle CSV files.  I resolved that problem by finding a program CALC2QIF at http://xl2qif.chez-alice.fr/calc2qif_en.php that is an OpenOffice spreadsheet macro that easily converts CSV files to QIF. If you are not familiar with OPENOFFICE, it is a FREE set of programs, similar to Microsoft Office (word processing, spreadsheet, etc.) that you can download at http://www.openoffice.org.

I'm still entering my mutual fund transactions (dividends,capital gains, etc.) manually, but I may switch to PocketSense in the future.

By the way, I also use a terrific, inexpensive portfolio management software program called Fund Manager http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/  It has much better reporting and graphing functions then Money.

My very big THANKS to the MONEY community that have continued to support MONEY through programs such as hle-ofx-quotes/ and Pockersense, as well as the moderators and members of this forum who have provided me with a wealth of tips.
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 8:37 PM
  • I converted to Money Sunset recently when I bought a new computer. I basically use it to manage my stock portfolio of over 100 stocks, so it is impractical to enter pricing manually. On June 8 it stopped automatically downloading stock prices.

1. Is there a way to get stock and mutual fund (less important) prices uploaded automatically?

2. If not, is there some other program that will accept over 10 years of Money data without my having to enter it manually?

Thanks

Saturday, July 23, 2011 6:47 PM
  • Hello Still using Ms Money 2007 deluxe. No update of bank account cause my credit union doesn't support this but still using Money to update my stocks and mutual funds (Canada, USA and Europe). For stocks, no problem for pricing. Everything still working very well (no information on dividends since a few months) For mutual funds, prices are often not updated... (for example, today is the 10 of sept 2011. My last MF prices are from the 6 of sept 2011). Not tried pocketsense yet but if I notice that MF prices are not updated regularly I will switch to it... GG
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 3:19 PM
  • I use Money UK 2001 (having upgraded from an earlier version!) for ALL my financial records, including a portfolio of around 100 equities, bonds and OEICs plus a large number of bank, savings, broker and credit card accounts - containing about 15 years-worth of data. I download transaction data from all those banks and card companies that offer the facility and rely on automated reconciliation. In short, it's my financial world and I keep virtually no paper records! [It's heavily backed-up daily - in 3 ways!]

My current experience is pretty good. For some reason I don't seem to have been impacted (yet?) by the cessation of stock-price updating (although the Internet Update reminder seems to think  that no updates have been received since 19 July 2011!). I always get told that 'an error was encountered while processing a downloaded file ('SMRTINET.INI') during SmartConnect' - but I think this only affects system updates, so it's not surprising. I still suffer from about 6 OEICs not updating (even when a symbol is produced by the look-up reference), mainly quite new launches. Only somewhat more concerning is the fairly regular fault with several indexes I follow [of necessity, as Investments to Watch] (FTSE 350 [NMX], FTSE 350 Higher Income [HIX], FTSE All-share [ASX]) which keep erroneously updating recent historical (but not current!) values by multiplying a few of them by either 100 or 10,000 (or, in one case, randomly inserting a significantly lower value on one past day); I manually correct them each time, but for the next few days the error is repeated - quite bizarre. However, I shouldn't complain!

I've been reading about all the problems that UK users of Money 2005 are having (or will have) since discontinuation of the online support and I'm concerned about whether my version (and my data) will survive an imminent transfer [from Windows Vista HP (32-bit) SP2, but running Money in XP SP2 Compatibility Mode] to a new computer just purchased which runs on Windows 7 HP (64-bit) . Does anyone yet have experience of this change with Money UK 2001? If so do you have any tips? I can't bear to think of this failing, so I'm looking for any helpful input from you wonderful people!

Thanks for everyone who contributes to this site - it's a lifeline.

Sunday, November 27, 2011 12:55 AM
  • I upgraded my UK Money file from 1998 as far as 2005. and recently switched to a Windows 7 operating system. I decided to install the fixed self-contained UK 2005 Money file which can be downloaded free from

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26915 

Apart from two specific issues everything continues to work perfectly including index, fund and share data downloads. The only problems I have at the moment are:

1. I cannot get rid of my Passport login.  I have tried a number of suggestions but they did not work so I continue to use it.

2. I have to download my bank statement .ofx files BEFORE I open Money or they will not update. This must be a problem with my main file, as a subsidiary file I have prepared will accept .ofx downloads whilst open. Repairing the main file has not altered this behaviour.

I have tried to recreate the main file using QIF export/import but the structure is very complex and due to a bug in the QIF import system I have found it impossible to complete the import.

During import, the system identifies linked accounts that have been hidden and forgotten. It would probably be possible to recreate these accounts and rebuild the import structure if only I could read them!   Unfortunately the names that appear are superimposed on the fixed text of the import page making them impossible to read.

I believe if this bug was removed I would be able to successfully recreate the main file.

Has anyone else noticed this bug?

Apart from this, I would thoroughly recommend the fixed self-contained UK 2005 Money file for use with Windows 7.

Andy

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 12:53 PM
  • Thanks for that advice Dominic. I shall give it a try.

Andy

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 11:42 PM
  • It is NOT working for me or orsmay.  We both lost our origional hotmail password that was used until early fall and were locked out of money's home page.  No amount of disconnecting from the internet, changing the "live" password, etc has worked.  Personally, I've given up - microsoft has done it to me again!  I'm now in process of digging up all my family's old check registers and manually imputing each transaction clear back to 1995.  The problem must be in in the core files on each of my backups.  Even the Sunset Money Plus will not restore any of my old backups unless I have that &%#@ password - each attempt results in that sign-in page that lets me go no further.  If anyone has an answer, please get back to me (or orsmay) before the middle of January, I might be through by then.
    Friday, December 2, 2011 10:45 AM
  • On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 10:45:00 +0000, catnipper wrote:

>It is NOT working for me or orsmay.  We both lost our origional hotmail password that was used until early fall and were locked out of money's home page.  No amount of disconnecting from the internet, changing the "live" password, etc has worked.  Personally, I've given up - microsoft has done it to me again!  I'm now in process of digging up all my family's old check registers and manually imputing each transaction clear back to 1995.  The problem must be in in the core files on each of my backups.  Even the Sunset Money Plus will not restore any of my old backups unless I have that &%#@ password - each attempt results in that sign-in page that lets me go no further.  If anyone has an answer, please get back to me (or orsmay) before the middle of January, I might be through by then.

Have you considered the Elcomp program for password recovery?    Look here:  http://www.elcomsoft.com/help/aopr/money2002.htm

Ron
    Friday, December 2, 2011 12:40 PM
  • Dominic,

I have attempted to do as you suggested, and after opening all closed accounts I find I have 59 in total - many with very similar names.

I exported them and then attempted to import them all simultaneously into a clean instance of Money 2005 UK.  After clicking "Import" a text window appears as above. I think the first line of text in this window reads: "The import file contains a reference to:" however there seems to be a missing line feed in the code causing the name of the account being referenced to be overprinted on the same line obliterating the first three words. 

Since it is impossible to read the name of the account being referenced (and I have tried!) there seems no way the import can be completed.

I have tried recreating 59 empty accounts of the correct type in the new instance of money, using the exact same names, in the hope that they would assign automatically when the import was attempted. No luck I am afraid! 

Unless there is some way of correcting this bug in the code I don't see how anyone can succeed in importing multiple accounts.

Andy

• Edited by Clacksman Friday, December 2, 2011 6:07 PM
    Friday, December 2, 2011 6:04 PM
  • Clacksman, you might want to consider importing those same QIF files into Microsoft Money Plus Sunset. While it is a North American version, it will work with your QIF files. Why would you consider this? 1, you might decide to continue using that. 2, it might better identify the problem that is not being successfully identified to you now.

I think it is even possible to have Money 2005 UK and Money Plus installed on the same computer if you pay close attention during install. Alternatively, you could try it in virtual XP or on a different computer if you prefer.

Saturday, December 3, 2011 12:41 AM
  • Hi Cal,

I tried your suggestion but could not see how to get both versions installed on the same computer. 

However I managed to get most of the accounts transferred into Sunset but had a little trouble with the different account naming conventions in the US version. Also, once imported there were massive errors in the balances of several of the accounts which I tried to resolve but in the end decided to quit. In any case,  if I continued with US Sunset I would lose the ability to update stocks and funds which is still working in the UK version.

There was no problem reading the linked account names in the US import process as the "Assign Import Account" window  is differently formatted. I found that in some cases the account names that were unreadable in the UK version were in fact the name I had just typed in when creating the import. 

For example, after naming the account being imported by typing in "RBS Savings 1" the next text window was actually saying "The import file contains a reference to: RBS Savings 1".  Since I had not completed the import, "RBS Savings 1" was not available to be selected from the dropdown list presented, leaving "Create This Account" or "Cancel" as the only options. If I created again I ended up with two instances of "RBS Savings 1" with differing content. Not sure what would be the end result if I used "Cancel".

I don't understand why some of these import files appear to reference themselves in this way. There doesn't seem to be any difference between the name I have typed and the original account name which might have explained it.

As you suggested, having run through the process in Sunset and being able to read the account names which appeared, made it easier to interpret the "unreadable" names in the UK version. Having some expectation of what the name might be made it possible to to guess-read it.  However in many cases the name was clearly NOT as expected and I may not have guess-read correctly.

So far I have had two more attempts to import the 59 accounts into the UK version with improving success rates, but still not useable yet.

Andy

Sunday, December 4, 2011 12:35 PM
  • Try opening the qif file in a text editor and search for "RBS Savings 1".  It will at least give you an indication as to why the account is referring to itself.

Just for interest, from my notes, when I tested USA Sunset with qif imports from UK 2005 I had 52 files and it took at least 11 imports and loads of qif editing before it worked perfectly.  I still use 2005 QFE2 but at least I know that the Sunset version is there if I need it in the future albeit with large amounts of data missing due to the limitations if MS qif export/import.

• Edited by banjomike Sunday, December 4, 2011 12:56 PM
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 12:51 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, Ron

I checked out your link and a few others.  The most I can rember of my old password is that it's pretty long (10 or so characters) and contains all characters on the keyboard.  According to these password crackers. they will have to use brute force and it will take, perhaps, 450 years.  Being 74 years old (and not rich enough to afford them, anyway), I fear I will have to pass.

Per your link, they mentioned going into Microsoft Money and click on the MS Passport button.  Where in &*% is that??

catnipper

Monday, December 12, 2011 12:09 PM
  • On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 12:09:07 +0000, catnipper wrote:

>
    >
    >Thanks for the reply, Ron
    >
    >I checked out your link and a few others.  The most I can rember of my old password is that it's pretty long (10 or so characters) and contains all characters on the keyboard.  According to these password crackers. they will have to use brute force and it will take, perhaps, 450 years.  Being 74 years old (and not rich enough to afford them, anyway), I fear I will have to pass.
    >
    >Per your link, they mentioned going into Microsoft Money and click on the MS Passport button.  Where in &*% is that??
    >
    >
    >catnipper

Yes the brute force password method gets to be untenable (unless you have NSA resources), once the number of characters gets over seven or so.

I don't know about the MS Passport button.  I'm pretty certain that refers to the terminology that predated Windows Live but served the same purpose.  I never used those passwords for local programs, just a "regular" password for Money.

Ron
    Monday, December 12, 2011 12:49 PM
  • I'm using Money UK, with Euro as my base currency.

Quotes are still updating. I always entered all my data manually, so the loss of connection to bank accounts is not an issue for me (in anycase, it was never widely adopted by UK banks). The only thing I really miss is that exchange rates do not update automatically and they are really fiddly to update manually. Also, occasionally annoying that many of links are dead - eg whenever I get an "fyi" warning flash up, clicking it takes me to a blank page.

Although I really like the programme, I am nevertheless looking for something to replace it with that has a long term future. This is not easy, as I am planning to switch entirely to Apple products at next hardware upgrade. Microsoft seems to be going down an evolutionary cul-de-sac by abandoning useful software and insisting that we do everything on the cloud, and as others have said, their abandonment of Money and refusal to allow access to developers has left me not trusting them at all.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 9:52 AM
  • I'm using Money UK, with Euro as my base currency.

... The only thing I really miss is that exchange rates do not update automatically and they are really fiddly to update manually.

Although I really like the programme, I am nevertheless looking for something to replace it with that has a long term future. This is not easy, as I am planning to switch entirely to Apple products at next hardware upgrade. Microsoft seems to be going down an evolutionary cul-de-sac by abandoning useful software and insisting that we do everything on the cloud, and as others have said, their abandonment of Money and refusal to allow access to developers has left me not trusting them at all.

In-progress work for semi-auto updating of exchange rate: http://code.google.com/p/hle-ofx-quotes/wiki/Update_FX_Table_Automatically.

Re: moving-on, I've been tracking Moneydance (http://moneydance.com/). It is Java-based so will work on Mac. I have not have a lot of actual day-to-day usage but thing that I like so far:

• support forum (http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions): staff is responsive, will give you the straight answer, have access to developer.
    • product supports add-on: so additional functionality can be developed.
    • product starts to support iPhone (though I think that is still in the early stage)

Data migration will be a pain (msmoney -> QIF -> moneydance). Typical issues:

1. If you have large number of accounts in msmoney, it is time-consuming to export all accounts to QIF.
    2. Loss of details, potential duplicated entries on the QIF import

I've been working toward a goal (still a long way) of using sunriise to help smooth the data migration path (http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/switching-to-moneydance-from-microsoft-money/871-importing-from-ms-money-not-so-easy).

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:02 PM
  • I've been using Money Deluxe 2004 for 6 years with no problem. Thought it was time to upgrade, surprise me, money is no longer available past 2008 (other than sunset). For grins, looked at Quicken on Amazon. Customer ratings are 50% good, 50% bad. That is NOT a "buy me" incentive. Think I'll stay with Money 2004 a little longer. Maybe MS will get the hint and start Money again.
    • Edited by US resident Friday, December 16, 2011 11:49 PM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 11:49 PM
  • hi ds-carp, and others, when i try to sign into my hotmail/msn account as "recommended" in Money 2005 it says "Cannot verify account" Would be grateful for all replies of HELP on this, Please fellow members. Thanks so much in advance for your help! Guys i use microsoft money 2005 in the United Kingdom. Thanks again.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:12 PM
  • hi ds-carp, and others, when i try to sign into my hotmail/msn account as "recommended" in Money 2005 it says "Cannot verify account" Would be grateful for all replies of HELP on this, Please fellow members. Thanks so much in advance for your help! Guys i use microsoft money 2005 in the United Kingdom. Thanks again.

I presume you have not installed/reinstalled Money on that computer since you last saved the file. Write down your credentials-- email address and password-- that were in effect when you last saved the file. If you are not sure, write down the variations that you can think of. Resetting your Hotmail password will not help, and can confuse things.

Close Money. Disconnect from the Internet.  Pull your ethernet cable or turn off your modem -- whatever it takes.  Start Money, click below the password field to select "I want to sign in to Money directly, without access to all online services." then click Next. The password is case-sensitive.

If/Once you get in, you can either continue to get into your file the same way in the future, or you could consider QIF export+import into a new file with no LiveID on it.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:28 PM