Backup from before computer's harddisk crash not accessible RRS feed

• Question

• 1. Installed OneCare on K-Media.

2. Backup was working fine, restore, everything working.

3. OS Harddisk crashed...thinking, how lucky I am ot have started backing up data for the first time in my life.

4. Got a new HD, installed Vista again, and OneCare again, named the computer the same K-Media

5. Tried to restore data from K-Media, and it fails with this error:

- Restore cannot continue. Unknown problems are preventing Restore from continuing at this time. To correct this problem, try again later or restart your computer.

I completely suspect that this has to do with permission issues...that the new instance of OneCare on this new build cannot access the backup produced by the previous instance of K-Media.

What have I done so far:

1. Messed around with permissions on K-Media folders to try to give different OneCare users full access.

2. Tried to give Everyone full access to the folders.

3. I tried backing up from another machine's backup (K-PC), and that one works fine for some reason. K-PC is fully functional and working however. So maybe the fact that K-PC had a different name didn't confused K-Media, and allowed backups to be restored from K-PC files.

4. Was online with OneCare support for a total of 4-5 hours with 2 different representative, and they could not solve my issue.

I may be already screwed because I messed around with the permissions a lot. I suspect that if I can somehow give it the same permission that the folders created by my new instance of OneCare would have, I'd be able to restore from it. But I do not know what to set it to (and not sure if I can) because to view the permission of OneCare folders, I'd have to change ownership to me first (in which by then, the permissions are already different).

Are there any manual process that I can do to fix this issue? I do not want to manually copy the files out of the zip files because I have about 130 GB of data backed-up.

Thank you very much!

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 2:32 AM

Answers

• You should be able to restore from the backup by selecting that it is another PC, just like you did for K-PC. Even though the restored PC has the same name, it is not the same PC to OneCare.

Since the other restore worked, I suspect you don't need to try the workaround of backing up from K-Media to the backup destination (just a small backup) and then restore from the old backup.

Since you worked with support and they did not solve it, please request that your case be escalated to another level of support.

-steve

Monday, March 10, 2008 12:56 AM