Mac Connector doesn't install on Mac OS Lion RRS feed

• Question

• The Mac connector doesn't install on Mac OS X Lion. The installer tells me the connector software is already installed and stops.

This is probably due to the new Launchpad in Lion which has the same name.

Is there a workaround or will there be an updated version of the WHS connector for Mac that works fine with Lion?

Saturday, July 30, 2011 1:27 PM

All replies

• Microsoft is aware of the issue. I can't speak to fixes, I'm afraid.

As for workarounds, none that I'm aware of. If you've never installed the Windows Home Server 2011 Launchpad on your Mac, once you have Lion you won't be able to. If you've ever had the Launchpad installed, upgrading to Lion won't install the Apple Launchpad. There is a workaround for the latter situation.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Saturday, July 30, 2011 3:55 PM
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 1:50 PM
  • Thanks. I've read about the second option but I've decided to upgrade to Lion without WHS Launchpad installed to install the Apple Launchpad. Hopefully, there will be a fix / updated connector from Microsoft shortly.
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 5:06 PM
  • It is unfortunate that MS has not worked faster at resolving this issue.  It seems to me that the fix would be relatively fix, through a fix to the OS X connector software, just simply change the name of the LaunchPad to OS X LaunchPad or similar, compile and done!  As Ken has pointed out there isa  workaround but the next update from either Apple of MS would send you back to step 1 so hopeing for a better resolution.  For for now, will fall back to my WHS V1 basic Network Connections to my files and folders,

Sunday, September 4, 2011 8:03 PM
  • It is unfortunate that MS has not worked faster at resolving this issue.  It seems to me that the fix would be relatively fix, through a fix to the OS X connector software, just simply change the name of the LaunchPad to OS X LaunchPad or similar, compile and done!  As Ken has pointed out there isa  workaround but the next update from either Apple of MS would send you back to step 1 so hopeing for a better resolution.  For for now, will fall back to my WHS V1 basic Network Connections to my files and folders,

There are other, larger, issues. For instance, every time Apple updates OS X, they break the ability to back up to third party network attached storage by tweaking the protocol Time Machine uses.

As for renaming the launchpad, Microsoft will have to release a patch to Windows Home Server 2011 to do that. One was just released a few weeks ago, so it will be months before the next, unless a critical issue is found and fixed in the meantime. And fixing the Launchpad on OS X isn't critical.

Monday, September 5, 2011 5:32 PM
  • I would say that preventing all new mac owners from being able to install your connector software is a pretty big deal. If that doesn't qualify as a "critical" issue I can't imagine what would be more important.

Monday, September 19, 2011 12:30 AM
  • We had to re-name the native Launchpad to MAC Launchpad.   (google it for how to do it, lost the link)   After that you'll be able to install the WHS Microsoft "Launchpad".     Hopefully Microsoft makes the installer smart enough to rename Launchpad to something non conflicting for everyone else at some point.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 1:48 AM
  • This (renaming one "Launchpad") will work, but it's going to break the first time you have an update to the one you rename. Since it's likely that the Windows Home Server connector will be less frequently updated, I'd rename that one, and rename the Mac Launchpad back to just "Launchpad".
    Monday, September 19, 2011 1:15 PM
  • Jim, it's a question of relative priorities. There are probably only a few dozen WHS users (at most) who also have Macs running Lion, and not all of them care about connecting their Mac to their home server. I have a MacBook Pro for work, for example; I don't care to install the WHS launchpad even though I'm allowed to if I want. That number is just not large enough to make this a critical issue. That's not to say that the people with Lion don't have a problem on their hands, but there are workarounds like the one JazJon posted.

The Time Machine backup issue seems much more serious to me, and at this point I think it's likely Apple is intentionally "improving the protocols" in ways that they know will break third party tools that accept a Time Machine backup. So NAS vendors will figure out what they need to do to get backups working to their devices again, release updated products, then a couple of months later Apple will "improve" things again and you'll be back to Time Capsule or nothing. (Not that Time Capsule isn't better than backing up to SMB: you can do a bare metal restore from Time Capsule. But not everyone wants to buy an Apple-branded NAS for regular daily backups.)

Monday, September 19, 2011 1:23 PM
  • Open Terminal and rename Launchpad (sudo mv /Applications/Launchpad.app /Applications/Launchpad2.app) Install the mac connector, it will work. Now rename the WHS Launchpad (sudo mv /Applications/Launchpad.app /Applications/Launchpad-WHS.app) and finally, rename the original launchpad app (sudo mv /Applications/Launchpad2.app /Applications/Launchpad.app)
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 8:13 PM
  • @Ken.

I had the WHS 2007 connector installed on my iMac. Worked fine. I upgraded to Lion, but haven't used WHS 2007 since as the expiry period ended. Now I am looking again into WHS 2011, will the WHS 2011 work on the Mac? I don't care about the Launchpad, whatever it does, I don't use it.

Thanks

JB

Well I went for it and bought a used HP EX470 on Amazon. A bit of trouble with it as the seller said that the unit was restored to factory settings. Received it and guess what? No hard drive in it. They had it removed. Nice people. Bought a new HD and set it up, took forever, as the D-Link router gave me pain. Finally had enough of it and connected MSS to the PC direct. That worked. Could not fix the problem with the D-Link router and ended up putting my "old" Cisco router back in service. Worked right of the bat. Neat unit. 
    • Edited by jbouwer Sunday, February 26, 2012 9:29 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:58 PM