Where is the Live Mesh blue folder icon resource file? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I would like to use the old blue live mesh folder. I still have the old version installed on my laptop, but I can not find the resource file that contains the icon.

Does anyone know where I can find it?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Aaron 

Thursday, February 3, 2011 10:41 PM

Answers

• Well after doing all kinds of searching on my local hard drive, I found the answer to identify the icon resource file for any folder. It's found in what I had considered one of the most useless and annoying files in windows: desktop.ini.

Open the folder that is the icon you what. In my case it was the old v1 LiveMesh blue folder.

Find the desktop.ini and open it in notepad.

Look for the line beginning 'IconFile=' and tada; the icon resource file :)

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll

Edit: I'm guessing my searches didn't find this 'Live Mesh' folder initially because this location is hidden or not indexed for searching. I haven't looked into it. Microsoft needs to work on the searching thing, but that is another thread.

• Marked as answer by Next Wednesday, February 9, 2011 7:44 PM
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 7:36 PM

All replies

• Have you poked through all of the files in the Live Mesh folder in Program Files? I don't know where else it might be located. None of the PCs with Live Mesh beta are currently powered up, so I can't check for you.

You might be able to locate some graphics by searching.

There are some here - https://www.mesh.com/Welcome/support/support.aspx

How about the icons from the Live Desktop? They would be in your web browser cache.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, February 4, 2011 2:01 AM
  • The Live Mesh folder was the first place I looked. Not there. You'd think it would be :) 

I did search Google but no Live Mesh blue folder.

I looked on the link you provided but didn't see any icons there.

I'll try the browser cache, but I'd like to have the same one as the old one. Anyone know where it is?

Friday, February 4, 2011 2:08 AM
  • If I get a chance, I'll poke around this weekend. The link I provided had images, not icons. you'd need to make you own icon.

I assume that you're talking about the Explorer folder icon that is blue. Note that there would be different icons depending on your view - detail vs. icons - in explorer.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, February 4, 2011 11:48 AM
  • I, unfortunately, didn't get a chance to poke around for you this weekend. I had hoped to have some spare time... I should be able to poke one day this week. :-)

-steve

Monday, February 7, 2011 12:05 PM
  • Well after doing all kinds of searching on my local hard drive, I found the answer to identify the icon resource file for any folder. It's found in what I had considered one of the most useless and annoying files in windows: desktop.ini.

Open the folder that is the icon you what. In my case it was the old v1 LiveMesh blue folder.

Find the desktop.ini and open it in notepad.

Look for the line beginning 'IconFile=' and tada; the icon resource file :)

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Live Mesh\Bin\WLCShell.dll

Edit: I'm guessing my searches didn't find this 'Live Mesh' folder initially because this location is hidden or not indexed for searching. I haven't looked into it. Microsoft needs to work on the searching thing, but that is another thread.

• Marked as answer by Next Wednesday, February 9, 2011 7:44 PM
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 7:36 PM
  • Good find and thanks for reporting back!

-steve

Thursday, February 10, 2011 12:35 PM