Networking newbie - WHS setup RRS feed

• Question

• I've just purchased the components for a WHS - specifically:

Case - ANTEC NSK 1300 MICRO ATX CUBE CASE

Memory - Crucial 1GB DDR2 PC2-4200,SODIMM

Hard drives - 2 x Western Digital 500GB Green Power

Motherboard - VIA iDOT PC2500E PC-1

Processor - Via 1.5Ghz C7-D

Plus a DVD drive for the install and a couple of Nexus 120mm Real Silent fans to keep everything chilly Smile

The question I have got is on the networking hardware to connect it to my desktop and laptop.

I presently get the internet through a US Robotics 9106 integrated modem and router (via a Cat5 to the desktop and Wi-Fi to the laptop) - is this sufficient to complete the network? There are still 3 ethernet ports free on the back of the router - the main question I have is how will the server "see" the rest of the computers on the network as the desktop and laptop cannot presently see each other.

In other words have I got enough kit or do I need to purchase some more..?

Cheers!

Sunday, February 17, 2008 3:22 PM

Answers

• You have all the kit you need; however, before you even think of setting up the server by connecting it to one of your free ethernet ports , you really need to sort out your existing network so all computers can see each other. It sounds as though you have the wireless portion possibly on a different subnet to your wired portion, or alternatively in different workgroups

Colin

Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:52 PM
  • It's highly likely that if the computers can't see each other, then there could well be trouble with either one or both being able to see the server. The fact that they cannot see each other now, indicates that you don't have a correctly working network for some reason.

Colin

Monday, February 18, 2008 5:41 PM

All replies

• You have all the kit you need; however, before you even think of setting up the server by connecting it to one of your free ethernet ports , you really need to sort out your existing network so all computers can see each other. It sounds as though you have the wireless portion possibly on a different subnet to your wired portion, or alternatively in different workgroups

Colin

Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:52 PM
  • This may be a stupid question - but what is the real advantage of having the two computers being able to see each other? So long as they can both see the server I'm not too fussed about them not seeing each other - the server will be there for the backup and remote access opportunities it affords and nothing more.

Or am I missing the point here..?

Monday, February 18, 2008 4:54 PM
  • It's highly likely that if the computers can't see each other, then there could well be trouble with either one or both being able to see the server. The fact that they cannot see each other now, indicates that you don't have a correctly working network for some reason.

Colin

Monday, February 18, 2008 5:41 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

You have all the kit you need; however, before you even think of setting up the server by connecting it to one of your free ethernet ports , you really need to sort out your existing network so all computers can see each other. It sounds as though you have the wireless portion possibly on a different subnet to your wired portion, or alternatively in different workgroups

I started what I assumed would be a fairly straightforward task last night - and I'm still here...

They still can't see each other and I've reached the limit of my technical capabilities...

The two computers are now both connected through wireless - b for the laptop and g for the desktop.
    Both can ping themselves and the server but neither can ping the other.
    Both are in the same workgroup and subnet.
    Both have the same user-name and password to log on.
    Microsoft Client, Microsoft File and Printer Sharing and TCP/IP are enabled for both machines.

Anyone got any ideas?

Edit: and to top it off I think the MOBO is not working as advirtised.

Or at all.

Further edit:

Dusted off my old hub - plugged the cat5s in to that with internet over wifi and ran the networking wizard again.

Still no joy. The individual machines can now ping both their IP addresses but neither the wired not wireless IPs of the other machine.

Firewall issue?
    Saturday, February 23, 2008 6:41 AM
  •  ShugPug wrote:

Firewall issue?

Course it bloody was...

Now have working network insofar as both computers can see the other's shared folder Smile

Now just have to sort out the server's motherboard...

Cheers for your help Colin
    Saturday, February 23, 2008 12:43 PM