PId versus Key RRS feed

• Question

• We have purchased a number of Dell PCs with Office Basic included as a part of the package. As it is not possible to purchase a Volume License for this version we need to record the license issued with each PC before they are released to the end user location. There is some ambiguity with the printing of the product key and the characters "8" and "B" and if they are mis-recorded this fact would not come up until a system is re-installed

The barcode printed on the COA is of the PId and not the product key and I need to then convert this PId back to the product key should the system become corrupted and need re-installing. I know there are a number of "key finder" utilities which will do this but only from the registry and I need to do this from a barcode scan. The ideal would be to scan it into a field of the Excel spreadsheet and use a macro to convert it back to the key. This would then have the added advantage of removing the possibility of errors in recording the information manually.
    Alan
    Monday, January 4, 2010 1:21 PM

Answers

• Hello The_Missing_Link,

I don't think you can reverse engineer a product key from a product id.

If I had to keep track of which Office license went with which computer, I'd simply record the product key of each Office CD packet as it came out of each computer's shipping box, writing it down next to the computer's Dell service tag.

About 2 minutes of training should alert your worker bees that on the CoA, the letter "B" can be confused with the numeral "8".  Maybe buy some dollar store magnifying glasses?

Not trying to be a "wise guy" just not seeing the situation as needing the level of complexity that you seem to be seeing....
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, January 6, 2010 8:59 PM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 7:20 PM