Workstation vs Compute node RRS feed

• Question

• Probably a simple question, but I'm not certain what the difference is between workstation nodes and compute nodes. Can someone point me to the difference. I haven't seen an official definition.
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 3:10 PM

Answers

• Compute nodes are dedicated machines for cluster calculation with windows server 2008 OS or windows server 2008 R2 OS, so it doesn't support this feature, because it doesn't need it. Supporting Workstation nodes is additional cluster ability, when you would like to use user's stations with windows 7 OS, for cluster calculation, so HPC needs to monitor its for I/O operation and CPU utilization.
    • Marked as answer by Rock2000 Monday, October 10, 2011 2:10 PM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 2:01 PM

All replies

• i suppose that Technically there is no difference. Workstation node is the official title for all the nodes that are adding to the cluster (example: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff601849%28v=ws.10%29.aspx ) . Compute nodes are the nodes that run any tasks submitted by users and unofficial title for all nodes including headnode (because of a possibility that headnode can plays a "game" in calculations).

Thursday, October 6, 2011 6:29 PM
  • Thanks. But the Workstation type supports the ability to use computers during idle time, where Compute nodes do not. I'm curious why all compute 'type' nodes wouldn't support that, or what other differences there are between Compute and Workstation nodes. In most of the documentation they just discuss the definitions of the Headnode, Broker, and Compute nodes.
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 6:43 PM
  • Compute nodes are dedicated machines for cluster calculation with windows server 2008 OS or windows server 2008 R2 OS, so it doesn't support this feature, because it doesn't need it. Supporting Workstation nodes is additional cluster ability, when you would like to use user's stations with windows 7 OS, for cluster calculation, so HPC needs to monitor its for I/O operation and CPU utilization.
    • Marked as answer by Rock2000 Monday, October 10, 2011 2:10 PM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 2:01 PM
  • Thanks. Makes sense, although I wonder why the Workstation feature is isolated to Win7. I use 2008 for my desktop workstation, and it would be nice to allow my system to join the cluster in the same on-idle manner. Although I guess most people wouldn't use 2008 for a workstation, so I guess it isn't worth the effort. I only use it for the HPC work I do.
    Monday, October 10, 2011 2:12 PM