none
replacing microsoft money 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• I will be changing soon my operating system from Windows XP to Windows 7.

I have been using Microsoft Money 2003 for many years with high satisfaction, but I think I need to upgrade to a newer version that runs better with Windows 7. Can I easily replace my old Microsoft Money 2003 by the newer Microsoft Money Plus Sunset? I really don´t want to loose any information.

Thanks!

Friday, February 26, 2016 2:16 PM

All replies

• Yes. Copy the *.mny file to the folder where you will keep it on the new computer.

It appears that Windows 10 by default will copy your Documents folder and certain other folders to the cloud by default. That could be useful if your house burned down or your hard drive failed and you did not have backups on other media.

You could make a new folder outside of Documents to keep data that you did not want in the cloud, but do not put your data files into Program Files.

You could alternatively install Money 2003 on the new computer, and people have reported that works fine for them. You are used to Money 2003. Sunset offers an enhanced backup system where it will keep multiple versions of backups. Sometimes you need a backup that predates the latest backup.

Friday, February 26, 2016 5:58 PM
  • FYI,Cal's suggestion for Windows 10 applies to Windows 7 as well.  Also if you want to upgrade to Money Sunset (and your Money 2003 is a US–or Canadian–version) let us know and someone here will provide you with instructions.
    Saturday, February 27, 2016 4:17 AM
  • I am running Money 99 on Windows 7 with no issues.  (Also on Windows 8.1)  I would expect newer Money versions to do no worse. 

I chose not to upgrade Money because certain features I like are not available in Sunset.

• Edited by Barry-Schwarz Saturday, February 27, 2016 8:03 AM typo
    Saturday, February 27, 2016 8:02 AM