Shadow copy error with Mediasmart server. RRS feed

Answers

• There are multiple issues which make it difficult to correct this. Microsoft has not told me this (though I've written file system filter drivers in the past, so it's pretty easy to guess at :) ), but my expectation is that fixing it would require changes to the way VSS works in Windows Server 2003. VSS needs to be aware of, and capable of synchronizing with, Drive Extender, and I honestly don't see that happening. (Certainly not with Windows Server 2003, and possibly not at all.) So your best bet is to simply not rely on Previous Versions. And before you ask, I can't say what might happen with any possible future version of Windows Home Server, because I don't know what changes Microsoft might be planning in the area of VSS.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Budman17r Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:55 AM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 3:19 PM

All replies

• The short answer: No, unfortunately not.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 8:43 AM
  • There are multiple issues which make it difficult to correct this. Microsoft has not told me this (though I've written file system filter drivers in the past, so it's pretty easy to guess at :) ), but my expectation is that fixing it would require changes to the way VSS works in Windows Server 2003. VSS needs to be aware of, and capable of synchronizing with, Drive Extender, and I honestly don't see that happening. (Certainly not with Windows Server 2003, and possibly not at all.) So your best bet is to simply not rely on Previous Versions. And before you ask, I can't say what might happen with any possible future version of Windows Home Server, because I don't know what changes Microsoft might be planning in the area of VSS.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Budman17r Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:55 AM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 3:19 PM