none
Media Streaming Hardware - Which is Best? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've seen different threads which discussed hardware that can be used to stream media from WHS to an HDTV. Based on your experiences, which work best? Which should I avoid?

The options that I've seen mentioned are the EVA8000, the PS3 and the XBOX360. I'm also not sure if AppleTV should be included in this group.

Hopefully this doesn't duplicate a thread that already exists. I tried a search first.

My goal with all of this is to be able to stream video, audio and photos to my HDTV and receiver. I currently have a 10/100 router, but might be upgrading to a gigabit/wireless-n router, since my server has a gigabit card. I plan to buy either an XBOX or PS3 befote GTA4 comes out in the fall, so that kind of what I'm leading towards. Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated.

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 11:24 PM

All replies

• I'm using a Pinnacle Showcenter 200 which is a cheaper option to the EVA8000. No HDMI but HD supported via component connections. Video streams fine wirelessly.

Quite old now but still a few about.
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 9:41 AM
  • I`m very happy with my 360, okay it is a bit loud but my sound system is louder ;-)
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 8:53 PM
  • I currently use a D-Link DSM-520 (tried the DSM-320, but it was terrible).  Streaming wireless g from my WHS is a peice of cake as long as the bit rate doesn't go to high above 1300kbps.  The DSM-520 has outputs to connect to an HD TV (HDMI and component)  but doesn't stream HD content because it's processor just can't cope with it.  The forthcoming DSM-750 has wireless n and should be able to stream HD content without any problems.
    Friday, June 15, 2007 12:09 PM
  •  

Mixed feelings about the Apple TV -  from a hardware perspective it sounds

great, just not so sure I want to be locked into iTunes......

Friday, June 15, 2007 8:03 PM
  • Sage is supposed to be releasing an HDTV client device in the second quarter of this year.  Second quarter is almost over, so it might be late.  But they use the Hauppauge MediaMVP for SDTV, and it works great.  I have two.  See www.sagetv.com.
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 11:17 AM
  • I stream through an Xbox 360 from WHS.  The first problem is its noisy, 2nd the codec supports sucks so i have to have TVersity installed to on-the-fly re-encode the files. 

I'm seriously considering an AppleTV, very quiet and although the codecs suck out of the box they can be put on to the box with the help of a few online guides.  The major downside would be having to run itunes as a service to share the media and not being able to use the build in media sharing.
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 11:45 AM
  • This is a bit of an old thread now, but the original question is a good one.

What's the latest and best media streaming device out there for streaming from a WHS? I'm looking for something that my kids can use to play their movies that I've ripped to WHS.

I reckon any device these days must be connectable via HDMI. Also, I want a device that will stream over a wired 10/100 connection - I don't think wireless can be relied upon (certainly not for HD quality)l

Thx.

Saturday, August 2, 2008 5:57 AM
  • If you've ripped to a format that an Xbox 360 can play, then that may be your best choice. It's got a nice interface and (bonus! Smile ) it will play games too.

Really, though, the technology isn't mature enough to give a single good answer to your question. On the WHS side, you have:
    • Media Connect 2.0 for streaming, with a limited range of codecs.
    • SMB for file shares, which allows the digital media receiver to deal with the codec question.
    • Minor authentication issues, if you decide to go the SMB share route. (How does your DMR deal with authentication?)
    On the DMR side you have:
    • Supported streaming technologies, if you're streaming. If it only supports streaming, and only over a proprietary protocol, you'll struggle with WHS.
    • Supported codecs.
    Basically, there's a lot of research to be done, and the answers won't be generic; they'll be specific to your environment. And they will change; the answer for you today may well not be the same answer you would have arrived at 6 months ago.
    Saturday, August 2, 2008 2:02 PM
  • After trying many of the options discussed on this thread (Xbox Media Center, Xbox360, Dlink DSM), I ended up going with a Mac Mini with Windows Vista on it.   It's a great form-factor and with Vista it supports all the codecs I want (x264).

As for the software I switch between Windows Media Center and Media Portal (http://www.team-mediaportal.com/).   Media Center seems to be better at pictures and music and Media Portal is better at playing movies.
    Saturday, August 2, 2008 6:09 PM
  •  

I am currently running an AppleTV, patchsticked to run Sapphire and NiroTV. I stream HD over wireless N, works great. Before I added the wireless N it would occasionly stutter in heavy action scenes. With movies like that I would copy them over to the AppleTV harddrive and play them directly, then delete them. The AppleTV is totally noiseless, only has one amber LED, no buttons antennas etc. It is a small flat box. I couldn't stand the idea of the XBOX360 with that loud fan and the game machine look in with my audio video equipment. The AppleTV is the perfect solution for me. I picked it up as a floor model at bestbuy for $100. I'm sure you could pick one up on ebay at a fraction of the cost of one of the windoze media extenders for example. AwckwardTV has the info if you dig around on how to modify the AppleTV to add codecs etc. As for iTunes, I don't even have an account, never mind use it.
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 2:00 PM
  •  Nasty64 wrote:
    After trying many of the options discussed on this thread (Xbox Media Center, Xbox360, Dlink DSM), I ended up going with a Mac Mini with Windows Vista on it.   It's a great form-factor and with Vista it supports all the codecs I want (x264).

As for the software I switch between Windows Media Center and Media Portal (http://www.team-mediaportal.com/).   Media Center seems to be better at pictures and music and Media Portal is better at playing movies.

If you have Vista running on a Mac Mini, might I suggest you try out the XBMC for Windows release that has recently come out. I installed it on my Vista laptop this week and am very impressed. Enough that I am thinking of getting an HDMI capable PC to be my media streaming client.

I still use XBMC running on classic XBOXes in two other rooms, and the only drawback I see to it is the lack of HD capability. XBMC on windows addresses that restriction.

Ted

Friday, August 8, 2008 5:58 PM
  • I actually quite like the idea of a Mac Mini. Love the form factor, and quietness. Wonder if/when it'll support HDMI?

Saturday, August 9, 2008 3:31 PM
  •      I've got a Macito(mini)  hooked up to my tv now.. nice interface, but codec ____ is huge her on Apple and quicktime.

I'm interested in the vista on mac mini.. that might work  for me.

Sunday, August 30, 2009 8:31 PM