Shared Folders: What is "Folder Duplication"? RRS feed

• Question

• When I create a new shared folder using the Windows Home Server Console application, I noticed a checkbox called "Enable Folder Duplication" - what does this do?
    Friday, February 9, 2007 7:27 PM

Answers

• Any folder that you select "Enable Folder Duplication" will duplicate that folder on to multiple disks.  This protects you from losing your files/data that are in that folder to hard drive failure.

Friday, February 9, 2007 7:43 PM

All replies

• Any folder that you select "Enable Folder Duplication" will duplicate that folder on to multiple disks.  This protects you from losing your files/data that are in that folder to hard drive failure.

Friday, February 9, 2007 7:43 PM
  • Just for clarification.  Multiple disks on the Home Server or multiple disks across the network.  I guess what I'm asking is, can I sync my Photos directory from all of my PCs to the home server and then have that "unified" directory sync back out?
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 1:43 PM
  • Does folder duplication literally copy the files to another disk with no extra trickery involved ? So if I enable folder duplication I effectively cut my storage capacity by 50%...?

Or does it use similar technology to Raid 5 for example, so I'd not be hit with such a large capacity loss?

Cheers

Neil

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 5:34 PM
  • when you say multiple disks - exactly what do you mean?

2 disks, or all of them? One feature i thought might be useful is to be able to specify the importance of each share, so a very important share (eg - photos) would get copied to every disk in the storage pool.

Thanks.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 10:27 PM