Turn off the power on my computer automatically. RRS feed

• Question

• I now turn my computer off with a timer and I feel that this serves no good outcome.

Can I have the computer shut off automatically at say 9PM daily, and how can I do this.

Sunday, June 15, 2014 12:09 PM

All replies

• I now turn my computer off with a timer and I feel that this serves no good outcome.

Can I have the computer shut off automatically at say 9PM daily, and how can I do this.

Do you talk about a client computer or the server? Is Windows Home Server involved in your question at all? If not, the question is off topic here. Which operating system?

What you could do, is to set up a Scheduled task which is executing a batch containing the command

shutdown -h

daily at 9:00 PM

which would send the PC into hibernate instead of shutting it down. Benefit is, that you won't loose any documents which may be open in applications. If this does not play a role or if your system does not support hibernate, you could also use the command

shutdown -s -t 0

in that shutdown.cmd batch.

In the first case you should also disable timer based wakeup events in power management, otherwise the machine will wake up for update checks or full virus scans during the night.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:43 PM