get BSOD during install with Promise sata150tx2 RRS feed

• Question

• I just tried to install WHS on my tower. It has a Promise sata150tx2 plus pci controller with 1 80GB & 200GB sata hard drives.  On initial setup, add drivers for promise controller card using the win2003 and it seems to format hard drives and copies files fine.  But on reboot, when startsup setup in the text mode, I keep getting BSOD.  I have tried disconnecting 200GB and only using the 80GB to no avail. 
    Has anyone else come accross this problem?  Wandering if it's the controller itself. Any suggestions would be great.  thanks
    Tuesday, March 20, 2007 7:01 PM

Answers

• I ran into the same exact problem with my card, so it's probably not an issue with your card.  Do you have any IDE drives you could use to install, or a SATA controller on the motherboard instead?  I installed to an IDE drive, then downloaded and installed the latest drivers from Promise after WHS was up and running.  The card is working normally for me now.  Otherwise, if you don't have any other drives, try downloading the latest drivers, and possibly the latest firmware for the card.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 4:43 AM

All replies

• I have the maxtor version of that in my WHS.  I have my WHS primary on a PATA and a secondary SATA on this card.  I added the controller card after the install, and it detected and installed the drivers properly. 

I know it is not exactly the same but I thought I would list it incase it helps.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 1:58 AM
  • I ran into the same exact problem with my card, so it's probably not an issue with your card.  Do you have any IDE drives you could use to install, or a SATA controller on the motherboard instead?  I installed to an IDE drive, then downloaded and installed the latest drivers from Promise after WHS was up and running.  The card is working normally for me now.  Otherwise, if you don't have any other drives, try downloading the latest drivers, and possibly the latest firmware for the card.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 4:43 AM
  • thanks for the suggestions.  I'll have to look to see if have an ide drive, but don't think so.  I'll double check the firmware on the card.  Glad to know it might not be the card itself.

thanks again.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 4:59 PM