My users don't react to the call signals. They have no sound! RRS feed

• Question

• In the next communicator, you need to do something with the calling!  People do not react to calls!
    E.g. if you chat with a person first, and the person leaves the windows open, I dont think they get any visual information of the other person calling them.

Please make a more visual call info window, even if you have windows open to that person.

Why they have no sound? Well we use headsets, as our people are in a open environment at office.
    We have standardized on the Logitech PS3 headset.
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:20 PM

All replies

• Your users should be getting both a toast (appears above the system tray in the lower-right corner) and sound indication an incoming call.  If no headset is connected do you still get an audible alert?

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:31 PM
  • You can run the Audio & Video wizard from the Tools menu and select a different output device for voice and notifications

So you could have audio boxes that play the notifications and use the headphone for voice

You should always see a blinking bar on the taskbar whenever there is activity but not very always visible

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 11:02 PM
  • OK I can be more specific
    1. Open a chat to a person (send a text)
    2. The person in the other end have probably opened the chat window.
    3. You then decide to call him. Press call.
    4. The other person only get a blinking window in the taskbar, and not a "toaster". Thus there's a large chance he do not detect that you call him.
    The problem is that people seem to leave these chat windows open, thus they never get a good call indicator when they have no sound. The headsets we use are mostly not on their head.
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:07 AM
  • When running the Set Up Audio and Video wizard that I mentioned earlier, are you setting the "Sounds" configuration to the headset as well?  The intended usage is to set the "Sounds" to the computer's speaker so that you can hear alerts or other system sounds.  If you don't have speakers and don't want this option, then that is what you'll get.  I'm not sure if the R2 client has changed this behavior at all.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:26 PM
  •  HAL07 wrote:
    OK I can be more specific
    1. Open a chat to a person (send a text)
    2. The person in the other end have probably opened the chat window.
    3. You then decide to call him. Press call.
    4. The other person only get a blinking window in the taskbar, and not a "toaster". Thus there's a large chance he do not detect that you call him.

The problem is that people seem to leave these chat windows open, thus they never get a good call indicator when they have no sound. The headsets we use are mostly not on their head.

You are right if there is an IM window open then you don't get a toaster

This is not consistent behaviour, I agree with you on that one

But you should reroute the ringing sound to speakers or other hardware besides headset

You can find a submit feedback online via the Help menu about this issue

Friday, November 14, 2008 12:13 AM
  • They turn off their speakers and they use headsets (e.g. USB headset that represent a soundcard on its own in audio setup).
    You do not want to disturb your colleagues with annoying windows-sounds.

Thursday, December 4, 2008 7:46 AM
  • You can choose a differnt Ring Tone if you like via Windows Sounds Control Panel : Communicator 2007 : Incomming Call

But they do anoye collegues with Mobile Phone ringtones but not for the real important stuff?

Gets you thinking...

Thursday, December 4, 2008 5:55 PM
  • Well. Most sounds in Windows are not incoming calls. That's why it's a big difference. I know we could tweak all windows sound schemes to be silent except for incoming communicator calls. But unfortunately, you have no option for disabling annoying flash-movies and all other annoying sounds that a computer may play.
    Friday, December 5, 2008 10:00 AM
  • Ok now it's clear what you mean.

One other option is to have an additional soundcard in the PC and make this the default for all sounds

Run the Audio and Video wizard to route sounds and audio to appropriate devices

I know it looks stupid but it might just work

Friday, December 5, 2008 8:04 PM
  • I've validated that this feature will be available in the R2 version of the OC client.  When in a current conversation a toast will now accompany of the sound alert of an incoming call.
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 2:01 PM