Tune-Up Error... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.  I have Windows Live OneCare. It's great, Virus scan, it's free... And then I ran into some problems. When it was time for the "Tune-Up" I was away, when I got back my computer was running incredibly slow, So I Turned it it off, and tried to turn it back on but it came up with a message saying something like No Boot Device available. So I turn it off.. Waited a day or two, turn it back on. It started up, but was still running slow. So after about 15 minues when I could finally do something.. I started up a Virus Scan... And Nothing was found... So I restarted a couple more times... Gave me the Boot Device Error again... So I put in my Windows Disk and it asked me if I wanted to boot from that, So I did... It worked.. So.... I fixed it... But occasionally it failed to find my other Hard Drive. It said "Error Auto-Sensing Disk1", Only a few times though. So then I waited until It was time for another tune up... It did the same thing.. Only this time it wouldn't give me the option to boot from the disk... So I'm writing this from my friends computer because I can't get mine working.. Does anyone know why this happens after the Tune-Up? And How to fix it? Or  if it isn't the tune up what is it?
    Thanks
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 10:47 PM

Answers

•  

Based on the error you are having it seems like more of a Hardware problem...

Error Auto-Sensing Disk1 - You're computer is having problem detecting your hard drive physically, this could be caused by several reason, bad cable, failing hard drive, etc...

If you have important data on that drive I would suggest have it backed-up, have you computer check by qualified technicians...

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 11:27 PM

All replies

•  

Based on the error you are having it seems like more of a Hardware problem...

Error Auto-Sensing Disk1 - You're computer is having problem detecting your hard drive physically, this could be caused by several reason, bad cable, failing hard drive, etc...

If you have important data on that drive I would suggest have it backed-up, have you computer check by qualified technicians...

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 11:27 PM
  • Would that also account for it being slow? I did open it up and make sure the cables were connected... But the wierd thing is this is always happening after the Windows Live OneCare Tune-Up...Is it possible for that to have an effect on something?
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 11:29 PM
  • Yes, a failing drive or drive controller could make windows perform terribly and also cause the no boot device error you are seeing on occasion. I think that OneCare Tune-up isn't really a factor in this, other than the fact that it does a while lot of disk and file access, so it may be accessing files that reside on bad or failing disk sectors, causing Windows to try to move the data to other places on the disk.

-steve

Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:15 AM
  • Hmm... Everythime I do get past the boot screen it runs ChkDsk... But I don't understand really.. My original drive works fine.. My new drive seems to be the problem... How can I fix it? Do you think that overheating could have been the cause? My computer was on while I was gone... I forgot to turn it off. Is there any way to save that data? Or fix the drive?

EDIT: I definately think overheating was the cause. I had it off the whole day and decided to try one more time at night... It started up, but my other hard drive didn't show up on My Computer. I'll leave it off tonight and see wwhat happens in the morning.
    Thursday, June 26, 2008 2:22 AM
  • Chkdsk running at startup is an indication that Windows believes that the drive has errors on it. I don't think it is a heat issue, but I could be wrong. If the drive is not showing up in My Computer now, it may have failed and getting data from it may no longer be possible. As Danzig suggested earlier, get a qualified tech to look at the PC for you.

-steve

Thursday, June 26, 2008 12:49 PM
  • Well it's the next day... Started up, found my drives but it's still going really slow. The loading light is on almost all the time. I opened up Task Manager and it was at normal CPU. I'm trying to back up everything right now. Anything else I should do?
    Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:19 PM
  • Keep your fingers crossed that you can get all of your data backed up off of that drive. Then go to the drive manufacturer's web site to see if they have a drive utility that can be run to check the drive. Also look into the warranty of the drive if it is one you added to the PC.

Good luck!

-steve

Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:27 PM
  • I think I narrowed it down some... All of my drives work fine(Shortcuts are in place, everything runs smoothly) except for a few, which don't work and one even gives me the "Not-Formatted" Error. I ran Chkdsk manually with the /f parameter. It gave me a message saying "An unexpected error has occoured" right before it finished. Should I be doing something else?

EDIT: Instead of turning it off, I put it in "Stand By" mode, Then turned the power back on. Ran chkdsk again and it said all my drives were fine.. I'll see what happens.

Thanks for all of your help.
    Thursday, June 26, 2008 2:33 PM
  • Everything you are encountering continues to point to a drive or drive controller problem.

-steve

Thursday, June 26, 2008 2:47 PM