Whs 2011 Server Backups? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys. I switched from WHS v1 to Freenas 7 because of dissatisfaction win the removal of drive extender. Now i'm unhappy with the changes freenas made in version 8 so i'm possibly going to switch back to WHS (2011). 

I want to understand the details of how server backup works. Currently i backup my freenas box by just doing rysnc (similar to robocopy under windows) from a set of internal drives to a set of backup drives. Its worked perfectly and has already saved me a couple of times. This is similar to how WHS backup of server folders correct (for example your video folder)? To what level of control do you have? For example if you want
    \\whs\videos\folder1 --> BackupDrive1
    \\whs\videos\folder2 --> BackupDrive2.
    \\whs\documents --> BackupDrive3

Do you have that level of granularity?

Are the backups sets (like client backups) or do the essentially wipe out the previous backup (like how my rsync jobs on freenas works)?

One of the videos i watched on the topic said server backup drives have to be external drives...is this true? I would hope that any internal drive could be used just as long as it hasn't been added to the pool of drives that have server folders on it.

Next i know its possible for you to specify the os to be backed up. How exactly does this work in the event of a disaster? Is it an image type backup? Just not sure i understand how to restore the 60GB partition that WHS create on C:\ if a disaster would happen?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
    Monday, December 26, 2011 12:56 AM

All replies

• No, you do not have that granularity using the inbuilt WHS2011 backup - all backups go to a .vhd file on the backup HDD. These backups are incremental and are "pruned" when the backup drive fills up - the maximum you can backup is 2TB. You can of course use SyncToy, SyncBack etc. if the inbuilt tools do not provide what you want.

Backups can be done to both internal & external drives although externals are recommended as they can be rotated offsite for data integrity from unexpected circumstances - fire, theft etc.

OS (and the data store on your first HDD, normally D:) is restored from a Sever backup by booting from the installation DVD and following the restore server option.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, December 26, 2011 2:13 AM