Major problem - WHS cannot get an IP Address RRS feed

• Question

• So, this is the major problem with a headless system and it has bit me really hard. Help!!!

I shut down my WHS during a bad storm we were having. I brought it back up after the storm was over and I get all blue lights. However, my WHS will NOT get an IP address from the DHCP server (I have a home network run by Windows Server 2008 which is a DHCP server but I also tried plugging directly into the DHCP broadband router and that didn't work either). I don't have a crossover cable that I can find so I tried just a simple router (Netgear FVS114) and plugged my laptop and the homeserver into that and hard rebooted the home server (since I can't log into it at all). The router shows no IP address being taken out by the WHS and I now have absolutely no way to get to it.

I can't simply pull the hard drives out and try re-installing anything - I have almost two years worth of data on this. Hopefully someone from MS can give me a good solution.

And yes, I've tried static IP's to the server name (this is how I have it configured by default), I've tried discovery.exe and nothing. This is an HP Mediasmart server and it hasn't given me any problems ever. If I can't figure out how to get it an IP address I guess I'm screwed.

Now, I have backed it up to an external drive, but not all of my music or videos because those were a bit large. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 3:44 AM

Answers

• So, I finally reached the end of my ordeal with at least one piece of useful information.

Thanks for the thought Olaf on the IP scanner. I had run one and the server wasn't getting an IP at all. I had to do a server recovery. One important thing to note however is that you are REQIURED to have a 32-bit machine. The server recover cd hasn't been updated for 64-bit yet (I couldn't find a download for it anyway). Fortunately I had one machine left with a 32-bit OS on it.

After that, the recovery went fine and I had to re-install the PP1 and a few other minor things but it recovered all of my data (fortunately none of my data is backed up on the system drive anyway) and all is finally well and good except that I had to re-install the connector software on all of my workstations and laptops.

All is well and good now but I have no information as to why this error occurred.
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 4:48 PM

All replies

• Jeff Levinson said:

So, this is the major problem with a headless system and it has bit me really hard. Help!!!

I shut down my WHS during a bad storm we were having. I brought it back up after the storm was over and I get all blue lights. However, my WHS will NOT get an IP address from the DHCP server (I have a home network run by Windows Server 2008 which is a DHCP server but I also tried plugging directly into the DHCP broadband router and that didn't work either). I don't have a crossover cable that I can find so I tried just a simple router (Netgear FVS114) and plugged my laptop and the homeserver into that and hard rebooted the home server (since I can't log into it at all). The router shows no IP address being taken out by the WHS and I now have absolutely no way to get to it.

I can't simply pull the hard drives out and try re-installing anything - I have almost two years worth of data on this. Hopefully someone from MS can give me a good solution.

Have you tried Server Recovery?

Jeff Levinson said:

And yes, I've tried static IP's to the server name (this is how I have it configured by default), I've tried discovery.exe and nothing.

Up top you said your server wasn't getting an IP address from the DHCP server (implying it's always been dynamically assigned an IP address).  Now you just said your server is static.  Which is it?

Jeff Levinson said:

This is an HP Mediasmart server and it hasn't given me any problems ever. If I can't figure out how to get it an IP address I guess I'm screwed.

Now, I have backed it up to an external drive, but not all of my music or videos because those were a bit large. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you can't resolve your network issues, you can always do a Server Recovery (or pull the drives from the server and do a Factory Reset).

Sunday, March 22, 2009 5:25 AM
  • Sorry, I should have stated it this way - the server uses DHCP but I set the DHCP such that it always uses the reserved IP address so the port forwarding would work.

Would pulling the drives from the server (I have all four drives in for a total of 2TB of space) (I'm assuming the three that aren't the OS drives) still allow me to add the other drives back in without any loss of data?

The manual (this is an HP Mediasmart server with PP1) isn't clear on pulling drives, just hitting the factory reset button and turning the power on. I have to exhaust every option before I do a factory reset. And server recovery isn't an option because i can't connect to the server.
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 5:48 AM
  • Hi,
    server recovery will require all drives be available at the installation time to succeed.
    Could it be, that your server got another IP address? Maybe you can download a freeware IP scanner and check for it.

Factory reset will wipe all drives (including data, which is eventually stored on the D: drive).
    How you get access to your data, is described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 9:16 AM
  • So, I finally reached the end of my ordeal with at least one piece of useful information.

Thanks for the thought Olaf on the IP scanner. I had run one and the server wasn't getting an IP at all. I had to do a server recovery. One important thing to note however is that you are REQIURED to have a 32-bit machine. The server recover cd hasn't been updated for 64-bit yet (I couldn't find a download for it anyway). Fortunately I had one machine left with a 32-bit OS on it.

After that, the recovery went fine and I had to re-install the PP1 and a few other minor things but it recovered all of my data (fortunately none of my data is backed up on the system drive anyway) and all is finally well and good except that I had to re-install the connector software on all of my workstations and laptops.

All is well and good now but I have no information as to why this error occurred.
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 4:48 PM