Antivirus Software on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I know this question has been asked several times before, but I'm trying to find out the latest consenses on antivirus software on my HP MSS EX470.  On my client PCs, I'm running McAfee Total Control.

What should I use on my server?

Thanks,

SilkRod

Thursday, March 20, 2008 9:29 AM

Answers

• You can install any Firewall / AV that is designed for Windows 2003 server. However most of them will not work nicely with WHS and they will not integrate with the WHS console. At the moment only AVAST has a WHS version which integrates nicely with the WHS console and which was purpose built. You can download free trial from the AVAST website

Thursday, March 20, 2008 10:08 AM
  •  brubber wrote:

At the moment only AVAST has a WHS version which integrates nicely with the WHS console and which was purpose built. You can download free trial from the AVAST website

I trialed the AVAST professional suite which includes licences for 10 home computers and a WHS licence.  I was so impressed I bought a 3 year subscription!  An extraordinary bargain even if you don't have a WHS machine.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:08 AM

All replies

• You can install any Firewall / AV that is designed for Windows 2003 server. However most of them will not work nicely with WHS and they will not integrate with the WHS console. At the moment only AVAST has a WHS version which integrates nicely with the WHS console and which was purpose built. You can download free trial from the AVAST website

Thursday, March 20, 2008 10:08 AM
  •  brubber wrote:

At the moment only AVAST has a WHS version which integrates nicely with the WHS console and which was purpose built. You can download free trial from the AVAST website

I trialed the AVAST professional suite which includes licences for 10 home computers and a WHS licence.  I was so impressed I bought a 3 year subscription!  An extraordinary bargain even if you don't have a WHS machine.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:08 AM
  •  Rach3 wrote:
     brubber wrote:

Hey Rach3,

I have been trialling AVAST for the past few weeks and so far I love it.  My only question is....Since my server is headless, how  do I know if there is an antivirus or shareware type of problem with my server?  Will I be notified via one of the client PCs?

SilkRod

Thursday, April 17, 2008 9:16 AM
  •  

The only thing I don't like is you have to have the connector installed to keep the license valid on your clients.  I have 3 of the 10 clients on my WHS box that don't have the connector loaded.  2 Notebooks.  And I can't use the 3 remaining licence's for these.
    Thursday, April 17, 2008 1:22 PM
  • I also use avast! for WHS, but only on the server, and I'm using avast! Home free version on my client computers (didn't feel that I need to schedule scans, but interestingly enough, I can trigger a manual scan on every computer through the console avast application)... Regarding your notebook computers and running the connector software, are you reluctant to have it installed due to workplace network considerations? If not, try just turning off the backup of the notebook computers within the backup tab of the WHS Console (if you have not already done this). That should let you run the connector software on the notebooks with no downside.  Obviously, the presence of connector software is how avast confirms that you are meeting their license requirements. Hope some of these points were helpful (and hope that I didn't miss YOUR point!)

Scott Boydman

Sunday, April 20, 2008 11:32 PM