Removing cut/paste and multitasking???? RRS feed

• Question

• Just saw on gadget.com that W7M will lose cut/paste and multitasking.  Please say it isn't so!  I have used MS Mobile religiously since the very first version of Pocket PC and have upgradedwith every release.  I depend on it, and I use these functions ALL THE TIME.  I always have three to five apps running at the same time, and frequently cut and paste between apps.  The main reason I have stayed with MS all this time is I do not want a dumbed down crackberry or i(gnorant)Phone.  I want a fully functional pocket pc.  I want MORE NOT LESS capability.  Ideally, I want a full PC in my pocket.  My investment in PPC has kept me from doing anything more than glancing sideways at Android, but if WM7 is just another dumb phone with a browser, it will be time to look elsewhere.  As an IT director, this is yet another example to me that MS has lost its way and does not value the investments companies make in their tech, investments that go in the trash heap every time MS decides to toss out or add tech that negates those investments in knowlege, processes, software, and hardware without a corresponding or significant remunerative ROI (e.g. Office7 interface, Vista aero).  Hopefully, others will chime in and cause MS to reconsider.
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 3:16 PM

Answers

• I have to say I agree with Mark. My jaw dropped when read no copy/paster or multitasking. Cmon guys. The visuals are excellent for win 7 mobile, but if the guts are torn out then whats the point. If you know who gets multitasking in version 4 then win mobile 7 will be another wanna be, that gets left by the road side. I have an iphone now and i like it, but I have been waiting for win mobile 7, so that i would get the visuals i needed to develop apps for the platform. Lets face it the other language on you know whos platform stinks, and with silverlight support the phone has a great beginning, but without multitasking and copy/paste your functionallity is that of the other guy, yes kind of pretty but nothing to get serious work done on.

• Proposed as answer by dgxhubbard Friday, March 19, 2010 1:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Friday, March 19, 2010 10:14 PM
    Friday, March 19, 2010 1:43 PM

All replies

• I have to say I agree with Mark. My jaw dropped when read no copy/paster or multitasking. Cmon guys. The visuals are excellent for win 7 mobile, but if the guts are torn out then whats the point. If iph@ne gets multitasking in version 4 then win mobile 7 will be another iphone wanna be, that gets left on the road side. I have an iphone now and i like it, but it have been waiting for win mobile 7, so that i would get the visuals i needed to develop apps for the platform. Lets face it objective c stinks, and with silverlight support the phone has a great beginning, but without multitasking and copy/paste your functionallity is that of the iphone, yes kind of pretty but nothing to get serious work done on.

Friday, March 19, 2010 1:40 PM
  • I have to say I agree with Mark. My jaw dropped when read no copy/paster or multitasking. Cmon guys. The visuals are excellent for win 7 mobile, but if the guts are torn out then whats the point. If you know who gets multitasking in version 4 then win mobile 7 will be another wanna be, that gets left by the road side. I have an iphone now and i like it, but I have been waiting for win mobile 7, so that i would get the visuals i needed to develop apps for the platform. Lets face it the other language on you know whos platform stinks, and with silverlight support the phone has a great beginning, but without multitasking and copy/paste your functionallity is that of the other guy, yes kind of pretty but nothing to get serious work done on.

• Proposed as answer by dgxhubbard Friday, March 19, 2010 1:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Friday, March 19, 2010 10:14 PM
    Friday, March 19, 2010 1:43 PM
  • Here is my light hearted proposal to fix it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYc05gZFly0

Friday, March 19, 2010 1:47 PM
  • Feedback heard and shared with the team!
    Thank you from the Windows phone team
    http://www.WindowsPhone.com/TotalAccess
    Friday, March 19, 2010 10:14 PM
  • Feedback heard and shared with the team!

No, that's not enough just to share. I don't remember Windows without multitasking. The first version of Windows I ever used was 3.11, and it had multitasking and copy/paste. The whole point was to be able to switch between windows just in couple of clicks. And it all worked on 486dx processor. Now, they say they are going to trow us in the stone age where we can't do that anymore. What!? These 500MHz processors can handle multitasking? These guys in Microsoft forgot one word, and this word is optimization. Instead of optimizing their code they are going to get rid of it. I always remember Internet Explorer, which I don't use anymore because it's gotten real slow and it crushes all the time. Just look, this browser uses twice as much memory as Chrome does and pages look just the same. Why suffer and use it? After all Internet Explorer is a good browser, it just needs optimization. 

When you press the Windows button on your smartphone, you mean multitasking because you want to switch to another application either it's already loaded in RAM or not. Yet, multitasking requires CPU's time. I guess that's why they want to get rid of this function. I think prioritizing can really help in this case. But who knows, I am not a developer and don't know about OSes a lot. 

Saturday, March 20, 2010 6:50 PM
  • I don't think optimizing the code has anything to do with it.  Microsoft is writing WM7 from the ground floor, starting from scratch.  Microsoft has not removed anything from WM7, they just haven't included these things in this round of WM7. 

It's all a matter of timing & priority.  I'll bet copy & paste and multitasking are both on the list somewhere to be included in a future update/release of this new OS.

Prof Julie, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices | http://pocketprimer.com
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 9:58 PM
  • Thanks Mary and Julie for the attention. I can't wait till it is out the door. I am hoping it will have copy-paste and multitasking. My iphone has copy-paste but not multitasking.

I am hoping for a big success on this and can't wait to start developing apps for the platform. Can't wait to chuck my iDont. Please give alot of consideration to including these features. I have seen flash working on it, netflix working on it, and I am certain I will be able to recieve my emails and save my docs on it. Just some of the things my iDont wont do.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 10:17 PM
  • I agree. No multitask or copy/paste would be such a deal breaker, regardless how much flash and splash it has. I definitely would stop using windows mobile (which I really DO NOT want to do) if these features are not present. These are elementary, and are what put winmo ahead of the crowd, in my opinion. I have read that MS tries to solve the copy/paste problem with 'one touch' solutions (i.e., if you touch an address, it will open it with bing maps, or touch a phone number, it will call or save), but what about if you want to copy the link to a webpage you are on, open Messaging (w/o closing browser--multitasking), then Paste the weblink into an email?

I do this all the time, and being unable to do it (whether from lack of multitasking, OR copy/paste) would honestly force me to sadly and reluctantly jump ship, and explore Android (never iph0ne, though)

MS, PLEASE TAKE NOTE. People are screaming this from the rooftops on every forum I'm on, please listen.

OH, and I just read that there will be no mass storage capability, like you cant just connect via USB and copy your music /video/photo files to device. This can't possibly be true, can it? ;(

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 11:32 PM
  • Yeah. Copy/paste is too good to be removed, although I haven't noticed that I use it a lot in my phone.  As far as I understand multitasking will be present when it comes to switching between applications, but applications in RAM will not consume processor time. I do not think many Windows Mobile users have applications that would run in background anyway. So, as long as fast switching between apps works, it is ok.
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 2:20 AM
  • Thank you for the continued feedback. We hear you loud and clear and have emphasized and shared with the team again.
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 2:34 AM
  • Cut/Paste and Multitasking were always features of WM, and were part of the feature set that made WM better than other OSs.  If WM7 loses these features or any other functionality that made it such a great OS, then I agree that it becomes just another iPhone wannabe.

Please don't sacrifice great Windows features, functionality and especially efficiency just to make another OS that looks like the iPhone.  As I've stated in other posts, if I wanted an iPhone, I would get one.  Please don't "dumb down" a great OS to try to win over diehard Apple users who will never give up their iPhones.  WM6.5 already took away some great features.  If you take away all of the WM features that gave it an advantage, what's left?  Why would any user go with an iPhone copy instead of just getting an iPhone?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you can't look to other OSs for inspiration.  My favorite thing about the iPhone is the ability to use your fingers on the screen to zoom in and out.  That would be an especially cool feature for IE Mobile (and Adobe Reader, though I suppose that's Adobe's issue).  However, I do think that you should consult your existing user base before eliminating existing features.  Ask us what's important.

I use my phone extensively for business, anywhere from 2-4 hours per day (NOT counting actual time on phone calls) and have been using WM almost since its inception.  I switched to the Palm OS once, and switched back primarily for the multi-tasking feature.  I also tried the iPhone and switched back for too many reasons to list here.  I haven't owned a Blackberry but have used friends RIM phones and did not find it to be very intuitive.

Here's my summary of WM progress to date.  In my opinion, WM steadily improved with each version from the old Pocket PC all the way to WM6.1.  Then in WM6.5 I haven't found anything new that is particularly useful, except that IE seems to display pages better.  I've only had it a week, but so far it appears to have lost more functionality than it gained.  From what I've seen with WM7 previews, we will loose even more functionality.  At that point I see no reason to stick with Windows.  I may as well go with the iPhone.  Like the iPhone, it's really cool for personal use ... pics, video, Facebooks updates, etc.  That makes up less than 10% of my mobile device use.  What about business users?  Is there a professional version that will still let me type a lengthy email on my keypad and easily access the business apps I use?

Thanks for letting me vent,

Keri Sprinkle, MCSE & WM power user since 2005

Sunday, April 4, 2010 6:06 PM