need help with backup after renewal RRS feed

• Question

• I bought onecare last year when i bought this computer. After I renewed my onecare subscription, about a month ago, and try to backup my files it says I need to insert a blank disk. I have last years backup on 4 DVDs and onecare shows when my last backup was, before I renewed, but no details are avalable. How can I get onecare to keep backing up on the DVDs that it started with last year? If I install "disk 4" when it starts backup it kicks it out saying there is data on it ... backup data that it put on there.
    This is the same pc from last year and is a singe pc so nothing has changed.
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 8:16 AM

Answers

All replies

• It could be that One Care needs to perform a yearly backup. Once a year One Care requires a new full backup, then performs regular incremental backups.

Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 1:44 PM
  • Did you reinstall OneCare when you renewed? Is OneCare prompting for disc 4 or is it asking for a new disc?
    I recommend using a new disc. If that does not work, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 5:57 PM
  • Onecare was wanting a new disc, not disc #4 ... like it never backed up before. I didn't reinstall onecare when i renewed, it's the same everything from last year when i bought the program on cd, not a downloaded program (bought when i bought the pc).
    I just went thru the whole backup process again (2+ hours and 4 more dvd's) now i guess i have to destroy the 4 from last year? I guess i'll throw them in the next bon fire, don't want anybody getting a hold of them.
    I'm hoping this doesn't happen every year, i mean whats the point of backing up every month if i have to start all over again when i renew next year.
    How long has onecare been around?
    I'm guessing this was not normal and hope it doesn't happen again, what a waist of time (backing up everything that is already backed up) and money (4 more dvd's). At least I have dvd's and not 22+ cd's.
    Thanks for the responses, we'll see what happens next year.
    Monday, April 13, 2009 2:23 AM
  • OneCare has been around for several years now. It does perform a once per year complete backup with incremental backups in between.
    To destroy the old discs, you can either scratch the label side deeply to gouge into the aluminum layer and they will be unreadable or simply crack them in a few pieces. Burning them is probably not a good idea due to the plastic and metal content. On the other hand, you can retain them as the data on them is still usable if you need to access an older backup.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, April 13, 2009 12:33 PM