proper naming convention for plugin solution and class library? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - I need to set up a new solution for CRM 2011 plugins. What kind of structure do you normally use for this? For example, do you use the following naming convention for the solution itself?:

MyCompany.MyDivision.MyProduct.Plugins

The solution will have several class libraries, including the main class library used for the plugin classes. So it seems like the actual plugin class library should have a namespace like:

MyCompany.MyDivision.MyProduct.Plugins

However, is it valid or considered ok form to have a class library with the same namespace name as the parent solution? How do you normally handle this?
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For the plugin Project I tend to use the namespace of:

MyCompany.Crm.MySolution.Plugins

Then each plugin would have a class name of the entity that it is associated with, with methods for each step that is registered (I tend to try to have a single plugin class per entity rather than lots of plugin classes that are each associated with an individual plugin step).

It's good practice to avoid having lots of namespaces with very few classes in each.

I think the main point is to be consistent, but it really depends on the size of your solution/project.

hth

Scott Durow
    Blog www.develop1.net    Follow Me
    Rockstar365
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Friday, July 12, 2013 8:36 AM
    Answerer