none
Has anyone else noticed the decline in the MCC awards? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have recently become somewhat active in the Forums and have also, as many have, been watching the MCC award process.

In January, the list of awardees was up to 11 pages and as February rolled around, the January 2011 awardees dropped off, presumably because their year was up.  During this month, I have been monitoring the awardee list every couple of days.

In the last day or two, the list of awardees has dropped to 9 pages; the oldest awardees that are present are from April 2011 and there is only a single awardee listed for this month.

Are those that can recommend / approve just not interested in this program any more?

I know that there a number of people out there contributing on a regular basis, but I am starting to see the MCC moniker less often and while I know that the point system is not directly causal, it should definitely be related.

It would be greatly appreciated if you would mark any helpful entries as helpful and if the entry answers your question, please mark it with the Answer link.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 12:30 AM

All replies

• With regards to your comment on the link between MCC and forum points, I don't agree. 

Just because someone has a large number of forum points doesn’t guarantee they’ve contributed a lot to the forums and doesn't mean they'd make a good MCC.  There are way too many ways of increasing points without actually contributing much at all to the online community. 

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker

Saturday, February 18, 2012 8:19 AM
  • "doesn't mean they'd make a good MCC"  Since it, on its' own gives you no special powers, I am not really sure what you mean by this.  The MCC award does nothing but "recognize notable contributions to Microsoft online community forums".

It would be greatly appreciated if you would mark any helpful entries as helpful and if the entry answers your question, please mark it with the Answer link.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 2:55 PM
  • Yes, that's what a MCC is however it shouldn't be based on recognition points i.e. someone with 2000 points becomes a MCC and someone with 1800 doesn't. 

The points system isn't really a good indication of forum involvement.  Why?  Because there are many ways to earn points, some of which don’t relate to forums at all (wiki and commenting on MSDN/TechNet blogs) and some of which are easily abused (getting friends to vote on posts).  There are also some forums which are easier than others therefore easier to earn points.

Jeff Wharton

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker

Sunday, February 19, 2012 12:42 AM
  • Actually, commenting, or replying for that matter, to pretty much anything does not get you points any more.  Perhaps you haven't looked at the latest points system:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/ff395928.aspx#_Recognition_System

I did not say that MCC should be based solely on Achievements or points with no oversight.  What I am saying is that, at the moment, it seems rather arbitrary.  If you happen to be active in the right forum at the right time and the right person happens to notice, then you might at some point be awarded MCC.

I actually did a bit of research on this topic and it is not a new issue.  There are even posts on these forums that they intended to be more public about the criteria back on September 1 of last year, but that never seemed to materialize.

Let's face it, the majority of us are here to help others and would do it regaurdless of the the existence of any recognition system or not, but they have created it, so it becomes competitive.  It is inherent in what makes many of us who we are.

Would being awarded MCC or MVP change my contributions to the system? No it would not, although there are those out there that are actively campaigning for these titles and that is potentially for them, the ultimate goal.

At least with MVP, you could always try nominating yourself, it even says so on the MVP web site.  Doesn't mean that you will get it, but at least there is a shot.  Other community members can even nominate you, just being a community member, no MVP required.

With MCC, it must be a direct recognition from Microsoft or an MVP recognition, even though MVP would definitely be the more coveted title.

No matter how you set up the system people will attempt to game it.  Even with the current system, you don't think that there are people who are currently MCC just because of someone they knew?

For MCC, why not set up a criteria?  That criteria could be based upon points, contributed answers, contributions to specific areas, an average number of certain types of contributions over a specified period of time...whatever.  Given a criteria, people would like strive to meet that criteria and the community as a whole would benefit.

Instead, at the moment, what we have is be in the right place at the right time and you might get it regardless of your overall contribution while others in the trenches go un-recognized.

<<Stepping back off the soap box now>>

Sunday, February 19, 2012 1:06 AM
  • Yes unfortunately every system has its flaws and can be manipulated by others :-).

Because the MCC program is quite new, I think it’s still in a “learning” phase and will get better as the months progress.

Thanks for providing the link on how points are awarded. I wasn't aware that points were no longer given for wiki contributions.

Jeff Wharton

Sunday, February 19, 2012 1:31 AM
  • Yes, that's what a MCC is however it shouldn't be based on recognition points i.e. someone with 2000 points becomes a MCC and someone with 1800 doesn't. 

The points system isn't really a good indication of forum involvement.  Why?  Because there are many ways to earn points, some of which don’t relate to forums at all (wiki and commenting on MSDN/TechNet blogs) and some of which are easily abused (getting friends to vote on posts).  There are also some forums which are easier than others therefore easier to earn points.

Jeff Wharton

Commenting does not yield any Recognition Points... only marks toward Achievement Medals.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Sunday, February 19, 2012 6:48 AM
    Owner
  • Yes unfortunately every system has its flaws and can be manipulated by others :-).

Because the MCC program is quite new, I think it’s still in a “learning” phase and will get better as the months progress.

Thanks for providing the link on how points are awarded. I wasn't aware that points were no longer given for wiki contributions.

Jeff Wharton

Commenting never got you points. What gets you points on Wiki is achieving milestones. You receive a certain amount of points when those articles achieve those milestones (all view related; the first is 500 views and the last is a million). You also get some points (not as many) for editing the articles that reach those milestones.

So those point systems still exist and have existed since the Wiki was added to the Profile (and previous articles were also tallied).

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Sunday, February 19, 2012 6:51 AM
    Owner
  • The decline is associated with the termination of the year-long award. The award ends after a year.

Thanks!

Sunday, February 19, 2012 6:52 AM
    Owner
  • I understand that the award is for a year, but the presumption would be that a certain number of the people who are expiring, would earn the award for another year, because they have continued to contribute, and a certain number number of new people would earn the award anew for their contributions, so you would reach a certain amount of a steady state.

In this particular case, the oldest awardees are from April 2011, so apparently no one was worthy back in March of last year and only a single new awardee is listed for February of 2012.  The number of awardees has dropeed by two - three pages of listings since December 2011.

My point was that new / existing people do not seem to be recommended / recognized at a normalized rate and I don't think it is because the contributors have just become lax in their level of conttribution.

Sunday, February 19, 2012 2:57 PM