Windows XP OEM original new installation - Office 2003 De- and Re-Installation? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks!

I have a simple question on the following:

History:
    My computer has an obviously not version of Windows XP Professional installed (by the seller, supermarket). I bought then Office Professional 2003 (original with product key) and istalled this properly. After popping up frequently the Windows Genuine Validation window I bought a XP Professional OEM version to install it to fix this! Unfortunately Windows XP can not be upgraded, but must installed completely new, which means all current installed programs will get lost.

Question:
    As Office 2003 has been installed correctly with the product key, what do I have to do to re-installed it after installing Windows XP, as I have to type in the product key for Office 2003 again. Will this be a problem as the registration has already been done by my first installation.
    Do I have to remove Office 2003 first (in Control Panel / Add or Remove Software), then install the original Windows XP, and will I be able to install also Office 2003 again without any registration problems?

Please note that I am a user and not very skilled in all this compter stuff. The detailed the answer/steps I have to do, the better.

Thanks all in advance!
    juevil
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:24 AM

Answers

• Hello juevil,

First verify that your Office is genuine by running this utility http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 and copy and paste the results into a reply here.

To answer your question, you do not have to do anything other than of couse make sure all your valuable files are backed up.  If you are doing a clean installation of Office onto the same computer, the installation will run normally and you'll activate normally once setup is done.  Assuming this is a retail or OEM license for Office, you will not run into any problems whatsoever putting it back onto the same computer it was already on.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:02 PM