feedback RRS feed

• General discussion

• (soap box warning)

As an honest long-time customer and a stockholder, I find the WGA pretty offensive.

You are taking personally identifiable information off my computer without my permission.  At the very least you are stealing marketing information from me.

You installed software on my computer that I cannot easily remove and that you used deceptive practices to get installed.  Worse yet, initially it could not be removed at all.

You are leaving a service running that I cannot disable.  You say "what harm"?  I say system resources (memory and drive space).  You also increase my boot-time.

You are periodically communicating personally identifiable data off my computer without my permission.

You periodically hijack my browser to visit the windows update site.

There are rumors that this thing will eventually disable my operating system that I paid for and significantly rely on if I don't allow this periodic communication to occur (I reference other feedback in this forum).

You argue that you have to verify that my PC is running genuine software in order to prevent malware that may have been installed along with pirated copies of windows, yet you give out tools that allow just the installation key to be updated.  That invalidates that discussion.  You could have accomplished the same task without sending the personally identifiable information back.  This is a poorly concieved anti-piracy tool.  You should at least be honest enough to call it what it actually is.

I understand the desire to eliminate piracy, but between the ill-will to your customer base, the lawsuits that are pending against you for having done this and the amount of money this brilliant idea must have cost to implement (and is continuing to cost) it is amazing that you could possibly come out ahead.

Microsoft has done an exceptional amount of good for the computing world.  Is what you are doing really worth the negative publicity?  Especially when you are getting ready to release a new OS?  How many people do you think are going to rush out to buy vista when they know this type of heavy handed monopolistic business practice is going to occur?

Please remember that there are beginning to be viable alternatives to Windows.

(and yes, all my software is in fact genuine and always has been)

Friday, July 14, 2006 5:21 AM

All replies

• How many people do you think are going to rush out to buy vista when they know this type of heavy handed monopolistic business practice is going to occur?

After this fiasco, there's no way I'm ever buying Vista.

Please remember that there are beginning to be viable alternatives to Windows.

Yup.  They're mostly not ready for prime-time yet, but they're getting there.  And if you're going to have to deal with problems anyway, why not deal with the problems of using a free operating system rather than the problems of Microsoft trying to restrict your right to use what you've purchased?

Friday, July 14, 2006 5:37 PM