WHS removes shares not in drive pool upon restart RRS feed

• Question

• How can I create a share on my WHS that is not in the drive pool? IE I have a Drobo Pro connected to my WHS via iSCSI and do NOT want to use it as part of the drive pool. Rather I want to simply create shares on this drive with rights and permissions to specific users. I can create these shares with no problem, and see  them from the network, however once WHS restarts (for updating or other reasons) ALL shares that are not created via the connector are removed!  What?!?!?
    How can I get WHS to not remove these shares every time it restarts? I want to have my shares not in the drive pool, but on the drobo pro, unmanaged by drive extender. I understand that key folders such as "music" and "photos" are hardwired, but I want new shares to be not managed and not removed upon restart. I have used programs such as "junction link magic" to reprise the folders to the new location which worked, but then noticed "file conflicts" and my SYS vol  FULL. WHS was producing so many error reports it filled the SYS vol.
    I would just want to create shares on a separate drive that is not managed by the drive extender and not removed upon restart.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Linc
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 9:36 PM

Answers

• Worked via USB, so I assume it will work via Firewire 800. Need to go buy card.
    Thanks for the lead. Wish I could use iSCSI, but firewire 800 should be okay. let's hope.
    Thanks!

Linc
    • Marked as answer by lincnlogs Tuesday, January 5, 2010 11:33 PM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 11:33 PM

All replies

• Connect your Drobo Pro with a hardwired connection instead of iSCSI, and I expect you'll have fewer problems. It seems likely you're losing shares on the Drobo because the iSCSI initiator doesn't start up early enough, or quickly enough, for the shares to be recreated at startup.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 10:39 PM
  • I will try that via firewire 800 and let you know.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

Linc
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 10:52 PM
  • Worked via USB, so I assume it will work via Firewire 800. Need to go buy card.
    Thanks for the lead. Wish I could use iSCSI, but firewire 800 should be okay. let's hope.
    Thanks!

Linc
    • Marked as answer by lincnlogs Tuesday, January 5, 2010 11:33 PM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 11:33 PM
  • Limcnlogs

My DroboPro arrives next week and I was planning on using iscsi with WHS just like you are.   Did you ever get it to work  if you could e-mail me with any hints or suggestions that would be great

Max
    maximillianrg@gmail.com

WHS_retail version
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 4:50 PM