Using a previously installed copy of XP RRS feed

• Question

• My pc came with xp home edition.  my father gave me his CDs for XP Pro and Office 2003.  He has now upgraded to Vista.

I get the message that my editions are not genuine.  If he is no longer using them, why is this the case?

Thanks

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 10:29 PM

Answers

• Since apparently your father upgraded his software, the original software formed the basis for the right to upgrade to a newer version.  Thus, the original software cannot be reused on a different computer.
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 2:04 AM
  • Sue,

The software may be used on only one computer @ a time unless the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) specifies differently. Has your father uninstalled and is NOT using any of the software on any of his machines? 

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA Forum Manager

Thursday, May 10, 2007 8:50 PM

All replies

• Since apparently your father upgraded his software, the original software formed the basis for the right to upgrade to a newer version.  Thus, the original software cannot be reused on a different computer.
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 2:04 AM
  • Thanks.

If I have works 7 installed, how can I upgrade to Office?  I don't understand the jargon I keep finding about licenses

Thursday, May 10, 2007 2:39 PM
  • Sue,

The software may be used on only one computer @ a time unless the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) specifies differently. Has your father uninstalled and is NOT using any of the software on any of his machines? 

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA Forum Manager

Thursday, May 10, 2007 8:50 PM
  • No.looks like he is using Vista and 2003.

Going to try and find an upgrade version of office as I have a genuine cd for Works which I think I can upgrade from.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Sue

Sunday, May 13, 2007 10:37 AM