Remote access to desktop cuts out - "Console started on another computer.." RRS feed

• Question

• Assistance anyone please?

Have been using Remote Access from work (XP SP2 with IE8) to my main desktop (win7 x64) via WHS for some time - like, ever since I created my WHS in 2008. Recently (I think this started only recently but I'm not sure - there was a period for several weeks when I didn't need to remote connect), after being logged on for about 40 secs I get the message "The WHS Console has closed because the Console was started on another computer". But that's simply not correct - I've carried out observational tests on all the other computers in the house (all but one on various versions of Win7). I can reconnect but the same thing occurs. I've tried deselecting all the various options and none of them individually to in combination make any difference. I can find no other clues anywhere as to what might be making this happen.

Anyone able to assist? Thanks in advance.

ADD: worth noting I've also tested remote access to the desktop with my laptop (Win 7 Pro) via a 3G dongle. Same behaviour.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 8:01 PM

All replies

• I'm bumping this because no-one has offered any suggestions - plenty of reads but no suggestions. Should I take from that that it's not a problem that's cropped up for anyone else? Even better, can anyone confirm that that they are successfully remote accessing a Win7 desktop via WHS and the connection holds for the duration; that is, that you're NOT experiencing the problem I have? If anyone can confirm that, it will tell me it's something specific to my setup and not a systemic failure...

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:47 PM
  • Sounds like the old users not logged off problem that occurs when someone uses RDC to go into the server and then just closes the window from the blue bar at the top of the screen instead of doing a proper logoff.

I usually log off through task manager on the users tab when I RDC to the server, making sure any disconnected user is also logged out.  WHS only allows 2 active log ons at one time, so If you don't log out properly it will just bounce you out.  A Shutdown/Restart will also clear the problem.

Thursday, November 11, 2010 8:37 AM
  • Thanks Gary J51 but unfortunately, that's not it. I usually do log off properly and no-one else in this household remote connects to their desktop or indeed, RDPs to the server from their home computer - no-one else knows how! Have just restarted server and done another test from my laptop (including carefully ensuring I logged off properly before reconnecting!)... but.. same behaviour. I'll double-check at work tomorrow but I'm fairly confident...

My suspicion is that it's something on my desktop. As I indicated above, I've tested from my laptop using a 3G dongle whilst sitting in front of my desktop. The disconnection is triggered by my desktop screen going to black from the logged off screen then reappearing as if I was logged on - which then triggers the disconnection message on the computer from which I was remote connected. Something like the ethernet connection 'refreshing' or something? Which devices 'refresh' or 'renew' on a regular cycle of about 40-60 secs?

Anyone?

Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:52 AM
  • I have no problem connecting to a win 7 Ultimate 64 bit using a Win XP Pro SP3. (Don't have any XP with only SP2)
    Friday, November 12, 2010 9:13 AM