£1k - Is it worth it? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I was recently made redundant and am finding it difficult to get back into IT - as a technician.

To help me get a job I was thinking of doing the MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Suport Technician. I was thinking of doing a test, put it on my CV that I have the certification already to see how many responses I get, I'm currently awaiting the outcome.

The classes are about £900 for both and the exams are £90 (so im told) and there are two exams, is it worth me doing it?

Thanks for your help, I'm a little stuck.

Saturday, August 21, 2010 12:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Dwarfer09, sorry to hear about your situation. Let me tell you a little about my experience of certification. My certification was in software development.

You should do the certification!!  I have found that with the certifications on my CV I am guaranteed an interview.  Not guaranteed the job mind but that's because I'm not great with interviews.

I wouldn't put the cert on your CV if you don't have it though. That's lying and if you get the job and they find out you lied on your CV you'll be sacked on the spot.

Ok is it worth the money. I paid 3k for a course and it wasn't worth it. To make myself feel better about being ripped off I have convinced myself that the money was spent in getting the knowledge never to spend money on a course again. I have self studied two other certifications for a fraction of the price. 

Thing is though software development can be done on a single machine, It doesn't need the network and set up that might be needed for technicians. So I don't know really for you. 

What I would recommend is investigate the content of the exam. There will be a book for the course, have a look at the book and see what is covered. For example if the book covers things like how to use Windows 7 then can you learn that yourself... if the book talks about setting up active directory for an enterprise then maybe a mentor is needed maybe a big network is needed.

See what's involved and decide that way.

900 pound a course is actually quite reasonable.

The other thing with certs is this.... if you go on a weeks course and then get the certification then it's not really worth it. business see right through this. If you spend 3 months self studying and then pass the exam then it looks better, well it is better. Sheep dip training isn't really a selling point. Microsoft certs are good for that, they can't really be done with sheep dip.

…we each have more potential than we might ever presume to guess.
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Thursday, September 16, 2010 2:43 PM
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 1:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Dwarfer09, sorry to hear about your situation. Let me tell you a little about my experience of certification. My certification was in software development.

You should do the certification!!  I have found that with the certifications on my CV I am guaranteed an interview.  Not guaranteed the job mind but that's because I'm not great with interviews.

I wouldn't put the cert on your CV if you don't have it though. That's lying and if you get the job and they find out you lied on your CV you'll be sacked on the spot.

Ok is it worth the money. I paid 3k for a course and it wasn't worth it. To make myself feel better about being ripped off I have convinced myself that the money was spent in getting the knowledge never to spend money on a course again. I have self studied two other certifications for a fraction of the price. 

Thing is though software development can be done on a single machine, It doesn't need the network and set up that might be needed for technicians. So I don't know really for you. 

What I would recommend is investigate the content of the exam. There will be a book for the course, have a look at the book and see what is covered. For example if the book covers things like how to use Windows 7 then can you learn that yourself... if the book talks about setting up active directory for an enterprise then maybe a mentor is needed maybe a big network is needed.

See what's involved and decide that way.

900 pound a course is actually quite reasonable.

The other thing with certs is this.... if you go on a weeks course and then get the certification then it's not really worth it. business see right through this. If you spend 3 months self studying and then pass the exam then it looks better, well it is better. Sheep dip training isn't really a selling point. Microsoft certs are good for that, they can't really be done with sheep dip.

…we each have more potential than we might ever presume to guess.
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Thursday, September 16, 2010 2:43 PM
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 1:09 PM
  • thanks for your advice, about giving it 3 months before I take the exam unfortunately I can't do that as 3 months is too long to wait since I need the certificate sooner rather than later since im unemployed.

I've read some CBT Nuggets on the MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support Technician.  I've realised I only need classes for 70-680 rather than 70-685, so I'll check up on prices for 680 - will save me a bomb!

For both I will buy CBT Nuggets to help me.

Saturday, August 21, 2010 3:57 PM