WHS unable to restore files larger than 1GB to Vista or Win7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WHS running power pack 3 and a windows 7 pro tablet that I had to install from scratch since my old drive crashed. After fighting with WHS to mount a backup I found one that it liked enough to mount. I can pull most stuff off of it except for 1GB files. It will start, estimate the time and then crash telling me that there was a network error and then the volume is unmounted. Same happens with large PSTs large WMVs. I am hardwired on gigabit ethernet and there are plenty of resources on both machines. Would be eternally grateful for any help. 
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:48 PM

All replies

• Since I think you want to restore the entire state of the tablet, have you tried this:

• Remove the drive from the tablet.
    • Connect it to another computer joined to your server. I would use a USB to <interface> bridge device; select the device based on the interface on the drive.
    • On the computer you've connected the drive to, run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe.
    • Identify the tablet, and choose the backup you want to restore from.
    • Choose the new tablet drive as the destination.
    • Restore.
    • Reinstall the drive in the tablet. See if it will boot.

ClientRestoreWizard.exe is the same tool that the Restore CD runs, just hosted in a full Windows environment.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:03 PM